Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Native vlan created after join WLC

Hi Sir/Madam,

We have a wireless controller 7500 setup in office and we found that, after APs joined into controller, there is a native vlan created in Dot11Radio interface (by default created sub-interface 0.18), but I have not enabled the vlan support function. Just for my curious, do anyone know the purpose of the sub-interface in Dot11Radio? Can i remove this by any setting? If this is possible, please kindly put any reference document in post.

interface Dot11Radio0.18

encapsulation dot1Q 18 native

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

!

interface Dot11Radio1.18

encapsulation dot1Q 18 native

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

!

interface GigabitEthernet0.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

Thank you for your help and looking to hear from you guys shortly.

Best Regards

Matthew

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Native vlan created after join WLC

Well the thing is that you have the AP's in FlexConnect mode. By default the APs manager will be the native vlan and you map the WLAN to a tagged vlan.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott, because I am new in wireless controller, so I want to confirm some concept. Is that mean the native vlan 18 (by default) is using for AP management purpose? But why it needs on both gigabitEthernet and Dot11Radio to create sub-interface? Because if this is management purpose, should be created on gigabitEthernet is enough. Many thanks.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Well you need to look at how autonomous access points are configured and you will understand why this FlexConnect AP is configured the same way.  I wouldn't even bother to be honest looking at a configuration on a lightweight access point, because the configuration comes from the WLC and you can't change any configuration on the AP itself.  It is what it is... bottom line, like I mentioned in my other post, is that the AP needs to have its management interface on a native vlan.  As you can see from what you have posted:

interface Dot11Radio0.18 <-- is the 2.4ghz radio

interface Dot11Radio1.18 <-- is the 5ghz radio

These are two different radios.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content