Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Need advice to change the WLAN

Hi,

I'm working in a school environment and we would like to add 50 netbook (wireless) to the 25 netbook (wireless) we already have.

The current settings goes like this: 4 floors with 2x WRT54G on 3 of them plus another WiFi router at the back of the school in an open large room.

So I'd like to change these 7 router for 5 N compatible AP.

I also want a WLAN Controller so I can mange them all easily.

The budget is limited and most solutions I found on cisco's website were overkill for my situation.

I was looking at the Aironet 3500 Series or 1260 for the APs.

For the WLAN Controller I looked at the Cisco 2112.

None of my current switches support PoE.

Please tell me if I'm on the good direction or if I might have miss something.

Feel free to ask if you need more informations.

Thanks in advance.

Frank

wireless.png

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Need advice to change the WLAN

Hi Francois,

You arein the right track!! Cisco APs can be powered up using power supply as well.. Make sure the End Of Sale and End of Life for 2100 WLC before buying.. Rest al are the new stuffs that you are planning to buy.. it not good to use Small office Home office Devices along with these high end. like connecting 2100 to CE 500 switches.. this will work but with struggle!! but if we struggle initially then later there wont be any issues..

if you are specific about WLC then its fine.. if not.. then you have the option of going for Autonomous APs which support N-Speeds (1252 or 1142) as well.

lemme know this answered your question.

Regards
Surendra

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I was looking at the Aironet 3500 Series or 1260 for the APs.
For the WLAN Controller I looked at the Cisco 2112.

Low speed WLC 2100 and high-speed 3500 and 1260.  Hmmmm ... Not a good combo at all.

IF fundings are a concern, then do you need to CleanAir?  If the you don’t need this feature, then you don’t need to purchase the 3500.  You can choose either the affordable 1040 or the 1140.

Regarding the WLC, if you are in USA or Canada, there’s a “Buy One, Get One Free” (look on the upper right-hand corner) promo happening.  Just note that the “Learn More” link is badly broken.

Buy One, Get One Free

Migrate to 802.11n with CleanAir technology, and get your second Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controller for free.
Learn More (PDF - 266 KB)

Yes fundings is a concern and as you said, 1040 or 1140 are a better choice for me as I dont really need CleanAir.

Regarding of the WLC, 5500 Series is way too much for my needs and also too expensive.

I only need 5-7 APs atm and maybe a few more in the future. So a WLC supporting 12 AP would be enough.

Is there any other WLC between 2112 and 5508?

Thank you.

Frank

Cisco Employee

between 2112 and 5508 we have WISM modules, 4402 WLC , 4404 WLC

Regards
Surendra

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content