Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Need help designing a WLAN

I want to scrap our D-Link WLAN's and use Cisco devices, but I am so new to CISCO that I don't know what I should have or what devices really need to go together, so I thought I'd ask.

Our non-profit org is a small campus on a former ranch. I want to extend wireless access to 2 other buildings from our Admin bldg. They are both within 110 meters of my outdoor omni-dir. antenna. I would like to have guest access to the internet ONLY, and staff-only access to the LAN.

I have a single Aironet 1131AG access point and like it fairly well (I don't like that I can't do WPA with it unless I also use RADIUS.) I wouldn't mind using more, but .... do I need other Cisco devices to enhance or control them?

(Add'l info: I have a Windows Server 2003-based LAN using Active Directory, ISA 2004 with SP2 as my firewall, and I have a Layer-3 switch (VLAN capable) - a D-Link DES-3828P.)

Many thanks in advance!

Mike Webb

1-man IT shop for a conservation non-profit in central Nebraska

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Need help designing a WLAN

How many AP's do you expect to deploy?

I expect I'll need 3 as bridges (one in each building), then a total of 9 AP's (1 in our lab, 4 in the bunk house, and 4 in our admin building).

Mike,

Feel free to contact me by email and I will assist you in the design of your network. We will need to do some site planning and survey work using your existing Cisco AP. dholmes@ineteng.com

Done. And ... thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content