Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Need help, someone please help me!!!

Good evening and Hi to all members on this forum.

It's the first time I enter the cisco community for help. Any help will be gladly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

I recently bought 6 aironet 1041N standalone access points for a customer of mine. It's an academy of barely 200 students. I'll be installing an access point in every room, to ensure better signal, since they use video for there classes. The reason why i decided to install an access point in every room is because the walls are armed concrete and they had a terrible experience with a past company in which they spend a lot of money for a antenna system that didn't work.These access points will be conected to a switch, which I have to buy also.Every student is going to bring there own laptops in order to connect to the network.

The reason why I'm writing is because I have a few questions to clarify.  

1) What is the best position for better signal, top side wall or corner ceiling?

2) How many client mac address filtering  can i do per access point?

3)I plan on doing ESSID but can I mac filter clients to a particular access point or should I mac address filter all permitted devices in all access points. The problem is that students come with ipods and phones and as you know on windows they will be able to see the wpa2 key and enter it on the particular un-authorized device.

4) Any graphic user interface for configuring these access points or do i have to use cisco IOS(kind of familiar with it)? (I'm used to GUI)

5)How can I configure these access points, through ethernet browser or do I have to use console port cable?

6)Do I have to use POE injector or can I connect the access points directly to the switch with PoE and QoS?

7)I was planning on buying a small business switch sg100 d-8 but they recommended me that I should use the catalyst 2960 series, which would be best for handling video data? don't have to be much features, just QoS.

8) Can CCp software be used in these access points?

As you can see, I need some help so if there is someone out there that is willing to help me, it will be gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your support.   

Best Regards

Eliezer   

• Getting Started with Wireless
Everyone's tags (3)
9 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

since they use video for there classes

Oh FC-UK!

1) What is the best position for better signal, top side wall or corner ceiling?

What is the dimension of the room?  Ideally, I'd mount the WAP hanging from the room and in the centre of the users (like bleachers) and NOT in the centre of the room (two different things).  How many students per room (average and maximum)?  What kind of traffic?  HTML/Email or video?

2) How many client mac address filtering  can i do per access point?

I wouldn't, period.  You want to put MAC addressing, then you do it on your core switch.  That way you manage your MAC ACL in one place instead of all your WAPs.

3)I plan on doing ESSID but can I mac filter clients to a particular access point or should I mac address filter all permitted devices in all access points. The problem is that students come with ipods and phones and as you know on windows they will be able to see the wpa2 key and enter it on the particular un-authorized device.

You cannot EFFECTIVELY stop iTouch and iPhones from joining with MAC ACL.  The best method is 802.1X.

5)How can I configure these access points, through ethernet browser or do I have to use console port cable?

CLI is the best way to configure and manage a WAP.

6)Do I have to use POE injector or can I connect the access points directly to the switch with PoE and QoS?

You can use PoE if you can ensure constant power of up to 15.4w per port.

7)I was planning on buying a small business switch sg100 d-8 but they recommended me that I should use the catalyst 2960 series, which would be best for handling video data? don't have to be much features, just QoS.

There is a 2960CG-8P.  It's an 8-port PoE switch with GigabitEthernet.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I recently bought 6 aironet 1041N standalone access points for a customer of mine

Better hold off purchasing unless you've done a site survey.

You do know that the WAP you've choosen only has ONE wireless radio?

Hey leolaohoo

Thanks for your answer. I was overwhelmed when reading your answers but that's what i want some help!

These access points don't come with power supply?why?

1) First, The amount of students is average 13, the most 20. They use video for learning and teachers use email also.Dimensions are varied, some rooms are 20' long x12' wide, while others are longer 25' x 25' etc. I plan on placing them on the corner ceiling because there are fluorescent lights in the center of the classrooms.What do you think?

2) With the 2960cg-8p can I do ACL mac address filtering? how is this done on the switch?any guided instructions on how to do it?

3) How do i configure 802.1x on what device?

5) I understand that CLI is the best way but still is there a graphic way this can be done? In the case of CLI, is there any instructions on how to program the 1041N? I have to buy a console cable if I do it by CLI, but if there was a way to do it by GUI would I still have to buy a console cable or is this done by a ethernet cable?

6) Does the 2960cg-8p which you recommended me, have constant power of 15.4w per port?

7) Does the 2960cg-8p switch have QoS enable by default out of the box?

I already did a site survey, and channels 1,6 where in use, although the old network system is going to be shut down so channels will be free. What do you mean by one wireless radio? can't do ESSID?

Are you familiar with CCP cisco software? on what device can this be installed?

Hey I really appreciate your help! this is something I need to get done soon. They are also considering on web content filtering but the router they had e4200 had limitations so i gave them the option to sign up for open dns or to buy a cisco router series 819 but as you can see this is another issue i have to resolve. Thanks in advance for your support.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Need help, someone please help me!!!

These access points don't come with power supply?why?

Power supply or power injectors are optional purchase.  Why they don't come with one?  PoE.  That's the main reason.

I plan on placing them on the corner ceiling because there are fluorescent lights in the center of the classrooms.What do you think?

I'd prefer, if possible, to put two in a classroom.  Let's say you segment your room into three section.  The area where the instructor is is a large chunk, since there's not alot of wireless useage there.  Where the students sit segment that into two.  Put a WAP in each segment, if possible, in the centre.  Because you could have funding issues, you can put just one.  Leave the other segment empty but you have already planned it once the students start complaining.  Then when you have additional funding, stick the second WAP in.

I had to deploy WAPs into 98 schools.  Three years ago, the word "wireless" was met with the question "What is that".  So we deployed one WAP in every "block".  Once the teachers start going "oh, so THAT is what wireless is", they started getting "creative" so we added more and more WAPs until the teachers started going "crazy" (it's a derogatory term because they started thinking "can I use a HOME solution/application in an ENTERPRISE network"?). 

Do not put the WAP near the lights because of the metals around the frames. 

2) With the 2960cg-8p can I do ACL mac address filtering? how is this done on the switch?any guided instructions on how to do it?

Yes you can.  But WHY would you want to enable MAC ACL?  I don't see any relevance to this.

3) How do i configure 802.1x on what device?

Microsoft has 802.1X solution called NAP and Cisco also has one.  Cisco's solution is called ISE and it's extremely expensive.  It's so expensive that a number of my colleagues are just coding it using PERL and Linux.

5) I understand that CLI is the best way but still is there a graphic way this can be done? In the case of CLI, is there any instructions on how to program the 1041N? I have to buy a console cable if I do it by CLI, but if there was a way to do it by GUI would I still have to buy a console cable or is this done by a ethernet cable?

Why not get a Wireless LAN controller (WLC) instead?  Instead of configuring and managing each individual WAP, you do all the configuration and managment on the WLC and the WLC will take care of the rest.

6) Does the 2960cg-8p which you recommended me, have constant power of 15.4w per port?

Yes. 

QoS?  On wireless?  What are you trying to achieve?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I already did a site survey, and channels 1,6 where in use, although the old network system is going to be shut down so channels will be free. What do you mean by one wireless radio? can't do ESSID?

Are you familiar with CCP cisco software? on what device can this be installed?

ESSID?  Sorry but I'm not familiar with this term.

1041 has ONE radio, an 802.11b/g radio.  The 1042 has two radios, one 802.11 b/g and one 802.11a/n.

CCP as in Cisco Configuration Professional?  I don't think it's designed for a WAP.  Not alot of people use GUI for WAP.  Majority of us go CLI. 

1) ESSID=Extended service set identifier, I was planning on configuring it on all access points.

2) On wireless I can't get the advantage of QoS? i thought of QoS because of video applications in the classroom.

3) How much is a wireless lan controller? I'm working with limited budget? how is the configuration done in wlc? sorry for asking so many darn questions, I'm not familiar with wlc.

4) Correct me if I'm wrong, 802.1x can be configured if you have a server in the network, correct? these people don't have a server in there network, just a plain e4200 router and standalone computers.There budget is tight, all they really care is wireless availability and un-authorized device block to the network and site blocking.What do you think?

5) the reason why I wanted to enable mac address filter is to avoid unwanted or unauthorized users to the network. Any suggestions to this?

6) How am I suppose to configure at first the access point if i don't have a power supply?the main switches are not PoE, and thats why I'll be installing a PoE switch on the second building where the access points will be located.

7)Right know I only have a budget for 1 access point, so that specific one, where would you install it? its hard to determine to put it over the students because there is a huge fluorescent light that crosses the entire classroom, thats why I thought to put it in ceiling corner(front of classroom)

Any cisco aironet desktop Utility for this device 1041N?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

2) On wireless I can't get the advantage of QoS? i thought of QoS because of video applications in the classroom.

I don't think you can put QoS on a specific traffic as the entire conversation is encapsulated, hence, I would recommend you try to avoid it.  My personal opinion is to keep your wireless network as simple-as-possible before embarking in a more ambitious setup.  Get it up and running first before you start dealing in "black magic" and voodoo dolls.

3) How much is a wireless lan controller? I'm working with limited budget? how is the configuration done in wlc? sorry for asking so many darn questions, I'm not familiar with wlc.

A wireless LAN controller (WLC) like the 2504 is a cost-effective way to manage, configure and provision your wireless access point.  Instead of managing, configuring each WAP, you do all that on your controller.  The controller then sends the configuration to all the WAPs that it knows.

4) Correct me if I'm wrong, 802.1x can be configured if you have a server in the network, correct? these people don't have a server in there network, just a plain e4200 router and standalone computers.There budget is tight, all they really care is wireless availability and un-authorized device block to the network and site blocking.What do you think?

Not going to be possible, in my opinion.  The reason is that the traffic from the wireless client to the WAPs are encapsulated.  So how will the WAP know that the client is, say, a Microsoft machine or an Apple or an Android?  It can't.  My colleagues are coding an 802.1X using Linux and F5 and one of the things they've done is to stop Android devices in.  Apple stuff are OK.  Once the 802.1X finds out the device has Android then it's-over-red-rover.

5) the reason why I wanted to enable mac address filter is to avoid unwanted or unauthorized users to the network. Any suggestions to this?

If you want legitimate users to join the WLAN then you need an authentication server.  A proper one.  MAC address filtering isn't an answer.  Heck, it isn't even a solution either.  MAC address access control list has a number of uses but trying to differentiate legitimate users and knuckleheads just ain't it.

6) How am I suppose to configure at first the access point if i don't have a power supply?the main switches are not PoE, and thats why I'll be installing a PoE switch on the second building where the access points will be located.

Sorry, but I don't want to sound like a d|ckhead but I believe the appropriate question is:  How do I POWER UP my first WAP if I don't have a power supply?

You've got three choices:  PoE, power brick or power injector.  If you have PoE, make sure your switch can supply up to 15.4w of PoE and your WAP can be powered using this method.

If you don't have PoE then your choice narrows down to a power injector or power brick.  If you are going to install WAPs overhead (ceiling) then power injector is the way to go. 

7)Right know I only have a budget for 1 access point, so that specific one, where would you install it? its hard to determine to put it over the students because there is a huge fluorescent light that crosses the entire classroom, thats why I thought to put it in ceiling corner(front of classroom)

Same answer as before.  Divide the classroom into three segments.  The students area is two segment.  Put the first WAP in either one segment but in the centre of that segment.

In our case, when it comes to wireless, it proves the old adage of:  Build and they will come.

Once you start an initial rollout of WAPs, the students and staff will start clamouring for more.  Baby steps.

Hi Leo,

It was very interesting when i read your answers.... But what i feel is we need to have a proper survey report before to proceed with this right. Because the channel should not get overlaps with the allocated range right. So based on that it can monted in the false ceiling right??? Please correct me if am wrong.

Please do rate if the given information helps.

By

Karthik

Hall of Fame Super Gold

So based on that it can monted in the false ceiling right???

Hi Karthik,

There was a time when it was acceptable to mount the WAPs inside false ceilings.  Nowadays, this practice if frowned upon (if not avoided at all cost).  There are just too many interferrence found inside the false ceilings.

We practiced this because 60% of our WAPs were deployed in schools where the students were in their "destructive age".  We also noticed that as long as the WAPs were installed OUTSIDE school times, the students are dumb enough not to notice because the WAPs seem to "blend in".

It was very interesting when i read your answers

You read my responses????  ALL OF IT???

Good grief!  You still awake after that???

Views
Helpful
Replies