Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Help with Everything!

WSCVWillis3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am new to the whole what do you say... Internet jig. Does one have to have an internet provider such as AT&T or Cox or any other provider to get the Internet access I need, or can I just buy one of these Vallet things and be done with it?

An answer would be appreciated. My family has been bugging me about getting Internet and I don't know the first thing about it. Please help!

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Does one have to have an internet provider such as AT&T or Cox or any other provider to get the Internet access I need

Hi Warren,

Welcome to the internet age.   An Internet Service Provider  (ISP) is like a phone provider.  If you want to have internet to your home you need to shop around for the type of service you want.  There are a variety of the way internet is provided to you:  traditional fixed line, wireless or home TV cable.  I'm from Australia so I can't be an authority as what is there.

Depending on your needs, some ISP supply the modem or you can opt to purchase it yourself.  If you are not familiar with configuring one, I recommend you ask someone who knows or get one the ISP provides (as this is already fully configured for your requirement).

Please take note that before connecting anything else to the internet, here are some handy tips:

1.  Make sure your computer operating system (OS) is fully patched with the latest Security Update;

2.  Ensure your anti-virus is fully updated;

3.  When in doubt, don't do it.

Hope this helps.  Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card