Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Need to setup AP's with the same SSID

We are looking to purchase two Acess Points for our new building.  Currently at our old facility we have two lower end AP's with two different SSID's.  Users just manaully switch between the two.  I'd like to know how difficult it would be to set things up so users wouldn't have to manually switch as they traveled through the building.

I have been looking at Cisco AP below and was wondering if it had the capability to do this.  Is there any other hardware or software required to set something like this up.

Just to clarify I only need two AP's and want things transperent to my users.  I want them to be able to walk from area covered by AP1 and to another area covered by AP2 and not loose any connection.  Also want this to be automatic so the users do not have to do anything to switch things over.

Any info anyone can provide to help me out would be greatly appreceated.  Thanks in advance.

Cisco Aironet 1140 AIR-LAP1141N-A-K9 Wireless Access Point

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need to setup AP's with the same SSID

As I understand it, you can set them both up with the same SSID and security settings and they will "transparently" move from to the other. That is if you are not using something like an IP Phone that requires a quick transition between the two. In that case, you'd need a controller.

Please note that the 2 APs must be on the same subnet and their signal overlaps with each other. They have the same security settings, same SSID but different Channel#.

Note that the part number you gave (AIR-LAP1141N-A-K9) requires a controller to operate.  That is because the OS on it is a lightweight image.  If you already have the APs, they can be converted to autonomous mode per the instructions at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272.  If you haven't yet ordered them, use AIR-AP1141N-A-K9.  (Or,use 1142 if you want both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios.)

And, yes, if you configure both APs with the same SSID and the same encryption/authentication, clients will be able to connect to both without changing their parameters.  Whether or not they roam properly is dependent on how close the APs are to one another and how well the individual clients roam.

It depends on your network. Generally,You will lose 1 or 2 ping(s) when roaming. So pretty fast.

7 REPLIES

As I understand it, you can set them both up with the same SSID and security settings and they will "transparently" move from to the other. That is if you are not using something like an IP Phone that requires a quick transition between the two. In that case, you'd need a controller.

No we don't need to use them VOIP.  Just laptops and handheld devices like IPADs, Iphones (Email only) etc.

Would we still need a controller and if so what exactly would we need for just a couple APs?

You can disregard my last post.  Just realized you answered my question already.  Thanks for your help.

Note that the part number you gave (AIR-LAP1141N-A-K9) requires a controller to operate.  That is because the OS on it is a lightweight image.  If you already have the APs, they can be converted to autonomous mode per the instructions at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272.  If you haven't yet ordered them, use AIR-AP1141N-A-K9.  (Or,use 1142 if you want both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios.)

And, yes, if you configure both APs with the same SSID and the same encryption/authentication, clients will be able to connect to both without changing their parameters.  Whether or not they roam properly is dependent on how close the APs are to one another and how well the individual clients roam.

Please note that the 2 APs must be on the same subnet and their signal overlaps with each other. They have the same security settings, same SSID but different Channel#.

One more question that I thought about.  How quickly does the connection transfer.  I know without a controller I cant use IP Phones, but how about if I am connected to terminal server and mobile.  Will it drop the RPD connection when it switches from one AP to another?

These two AP's will be on the same network segment and both uplinked to Gigabit switches.

It depends on your network. Generally,You will lose 1 or 2 ping(s) when roaming. So pretty fast.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content