Network Neighborhood

adelkarim
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 350 series AP with the following :

Current Version of System Firmware: 11.07

Current Version of Web Pages: 11.07

Current Version of Radio Firmware: 4.25H

I have some 350 series PCMCIA cards with firmware 4.25.30 installed on laptops running windows 98 and windows 2000 associating to this AP.

I can ping all the laptops and I can even ping the wired Pc's but I cannot find any of the wireless or wired clients using network neighborhood.

What can be the problem??

Thank you

5 Replies 5

kmarrero
Level 4
Level 4

First thing you want to check is that everyone is in the same workgroup. The second is to go to the software center and download the latest firmware for both the Access Point and the PCMCIA cards. Here is the link for the software center. http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/sw-wireless.shtml

I will take care of this firmware issue right away but about the workgroup, Is it mandatory that everyone should be in the same workgroup (I mean the wired and wireless clients) ?? .

Anyway I will give it a try and come back to you.

Thanks

I upgraded my firmware and it is working fine.. Thank you for your great help sir.. I think it was just a bug with my old version.

Adel

i believe that if you are in the same workgroup you will be able to see(browse) the shares of hosts in your workgroup but if not in the same workgroup you will have to explicitly state the workgroup/share. i dont think everyone has to be in the same workgroup to communicate with each other but they should be in the same subnet. unless you use a router and ip-helper address.

alcontrol
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem with my network, only, there were no laptops or wireless hosts. What I did find out in the end, was that it was my antivirus software. Sometimes, by default, the antivrus's personal firewall is enabled. This obviously means that none of the other hosts will be able to see that specific host with the software set up like that. I suggest you change that first. Oh, before you do that though, in network neighberhood, 'search' for a host/computer. If you cannot do it via the 'search', THEN, you check your antivirus software. If you can see the other hosts, then you have a Windoze problem. Call an MCSE guy in that case.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card