Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

New 5508 WLC configuration questions

Hi all,

We just received our new 5508 wireless controller and I have a few questions in regards to the inital configuration process described in both the configuration guide and the configuration wizard when you first power it up. I am starting to read through the 1000+ pages in the configuration guide in hopes that some of this may become clearer, such as LAG, or help explain how this information is used on this new platform.

The management interface part seems straight forward and I am thinking I can simply use a static address from my management VLAN and figure that the interface I mark for management will simply be an access port on the switch. After that things start to take a turn from what I normally see with configuraing past hardware. My first question is in regards to the primary and secondary DHCP servers. DHCP is handled by my core switchs and not a specific server. Each VLAN is defined there and I will have multiple VLANs being supported on the wireless side so what do I need for this? It does not let me leave the IP address blank and I did not figure I could simply make something up either.

IT also looks like there are no trunk ports for connection of the controller to the network? Will each VLAN use a single interface or can I really have a single physical interface with multiple VLANS? i.e. one for management, one for APs here onsite, one for our new guest network, one for our corporate laptops, etc. We will be extending this controller to support APs at some of our remote locations.

Is there a design type guide that may assist with some of this? I figure once we get through the basic connectivity stuff the rest will be relatively straight forward.

I am sure there will be more and thanks for the patience.

Brent

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hey Brent,

"Each VLAN is defined there and I will have multiple VLANs being supported on the wireless side so what do I need for this? It does not let me leave the IP address blank and I did not figure I could simply make something up either."

You can simply provide the gateway address for the management interface subnet as the DHCP server IP.  By default the controller has DHCP Proxy enabled so it will unicast discovery requests from clients to that IP.  If you disable DHCP Proxy it will simply dump it on the wire.

"IT also looks like there are no trunk ports for connection of the controller to the network? Will each VLAN use a single interface or can I really have a single physical interface with multiple VLANS?"

The way it works is if you want to pass multiple VLANs you will need to make the switchport that the controller is physically plugged into a trunk port.  On the controller side, simply provide a VLAN id for your management interface along with its unique address.  Next, you will have to create additional unique dynamic interfaces on the controller for each VLAN you want to use on the wireless side.  All the traffic will egress/ingress through the trunk port back to the switch. 

Cheers,
Erwin

How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Cheers, Erwin ______________________________________ How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!
Hall of Fame Super Gold

I am thinking I can simply use a static address from my management VLAN and figure that the interface I mark for management will simply be an access port on the switch.

Configure the switchport to be an 802.1Q trunk.  Prepare TWO (2) IP addresses in the same subnet.  First one is your Management IP address and the second one is your "reserve" in case you need one in the future.  In case you want to enable High Availability (HA), then the second IP address will be very handy.

DHCP is handled by my core switchs and not a specific server. Each VLAN is defined there and I will have multiple VLANs being supported on the wireless side so what do I need for this? It does not let me leave the IP address blank and I did not figure I could simply make something up either.

Won't let you leave blank?  I think you are talking about the configuration wizard when you first power up the WLC.  If this is the case, put the Management IP Address of the WLC as the DHCP IP address.  Don't worry because when you create a dynamic interface you can optionally enter the correct DHCP IP address of your choice.

The controller uses a concept of virtual interfaces which are each assigned to seperate Vlan's.

If you configure your switchport as a trunk and pass all the relevant Vlan''s you want to provision on the controller as a first step and the controller should negotiate a trunk automatically when you plug it into the switchport. Setup virtual interfaces for each Vlan you want an SSID on and just assign an IP address in each of those Vlan's to the virtual interfaces.

Views
Helpful
Replies