cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New Aironet 2602 Has IP but cannot connect through Web

Scott Raley
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new aironet 2602 that is hooked up on POE and DHCP has issued an IP (verified by MAC). First time use. Put in IP in IE and Firefox and I cannot connect. I tried to do a telnet session as well through ethernet and ip is refused. I do not have a serial console cable but have a usb console cable used for other products. I tried this but I don't want to use as I don't think it is wired fo rthis device. Why does the webpage summary not come up? I can ping the IP so it is responding.

27 Replies 27

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the model of the AP on the sticker? If it's AIR-CAP2602, it requires a WLC. You need the AIR-SAP2602 and you would need to convert it but need a support contract to download new autonomous code.

Just in case, here are links to convert it.

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160918

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18268

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160918

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_NuxdRhQ4

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14960

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

It is a CAP2602. These were purchased because I was told I could set one up and roll out the same settings to all in the network and throttle network connections. Nothing was said about one of these AP's being the SAP model. Your links refer to needing an image file. I see a link to an image file in support but how do I know this is the correct image?

what do you mean by "it requires a WLC" ?

I should have answered I have a CISCO POE Switch to run these but do not have that installed yet. Can I hook up the AP's to this and that will be the WLC and I'll be able to get into the AP webpage ?

You don't access a web page with a CAP. You need a wireless LAN controller or you need to convert the ap to a standalone.

-Scott

Thanks for the information. the original Cisco quote did not put in it that we required a WLC for the CAP version. They just gave us price comparisons between the CAP and SAP along with a new POE managed Switch.

You can easily convert the AP from controller-based to autonomous IOS (and vice versa).

Scott has posted the relevant links.

All you need is to get the automous IOS from the vendor who sold you the AP.

What is your opinion of the 2504 WLC model to start with for 4 AP's ? the tech sheet says this model can support up to 75 AP's. Thank you

Scott the aps these day can work in two modes .. Standalone also called autonomous or capwap also called controller. Controller mode aps allow you to configure one appliance and connect your aps. Autonomous means you need to config and control each and every ap ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6302/Products_Sub_Category_Home.html

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maybe see if you can return that for an AIR-SAP2602

-Scott

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

• AP2600: 12.95W

Note: When deployed using Power over Ethernet (PoE), the power drawn from the power sourcing equipment will be higher by some amount depending on the length of the interconnecting cable. This additional power may be as high as 2.45W, bringing the total system power draw (access point + cabling) to 15.4W.• AP2600: 12.95W
Note: When deployed using Power over Ethernet (PoE), the power drawn from the power sourcing equipment will be higher by some amount depending on the length of the interconnecting cable. This additional power may be as high as 2.45W, bringing the total system power draw (access point + cabling) to 15.4W.

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AIR-CAP2602 AP is a lightweight AP and can be managed only by WLC. It is not a standalone AP like SAP2602.

As per your description it seems you need the standalone AP and need to open its webpage.

either you may convert it to standalone or if this is the brand new AP please replace get it replaced.

Scott Raley
Level 1
Level 1

okay I 've listened and now I need some dummy steps.

I now have the WLC 2504 in place and configured it basd on default steps listed in the online documentation. It has  static IP of 192.168.1.39. My DHCP box is 192.168.1.4 which I put in the configuration. VLAN was set to 1.1.1.1 as suggested in the doc. Name of device is Cisco_55 with SSID of Cisco1. POE Config Port set to 4.

I plug in the CAP2600 into port 4 and it cannot get an IP address. I plug in the console and it is error after error.

It is suggested on Cisco forums I hae to turn the DHCP Bridge on which I try and that has no effect.

I plug the CAP2600 into the same switch with the WLC. in the Console of the CAP it gets an IP of .40, knows the dhcp server is .4 and identifies the WLC at .39 but it has  aton of errors that are shown below from the screen capture. My problem is I can use the default login but I see no documentation on how to configure the CAP from command line since I still cannot get to the web page for the CAP. The log below is from the CAP plugged into the switch.

Log:

*Mar  1 00:05:45.539: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC using DHCP IP. Renewing DHCP IP.
*Mar  1 00:05:48.543: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Invalid event 38 & state 2 combination.
*Mar  1 00:05:48.611: %DHCP-6-ADDRESS_ASSIGN: Interface BVI1 assigned DHCP address 192.168.1.40, mask 255.255.255.0, hostname AP4c4e.35a2.0de9

Translating "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.smheclab.local"...domain server (192.168.1.4)
*Mar  1 00:05:56.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Did not get log server settings from DHCP.

*Mar  1 00:05:59.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Could Not resolve CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.smheclab.local
*Mar  1 00:05:59.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Discovery response from MWAR 'Cisco_55'running version 7.0.220.0 is rejected.
*Mar  1 00:05:59.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to decode discovery response.
*Mar  1 00:05:59.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: CAPWAP SM handler: Failed to process message type 2 state 2.
*Mar  1 00:05:59.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to handle capwap control message from controller
*Mar  1 00:05:59.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to process unencrypted capwap packet from 192.168.1.39
*Mar  1 00:05:59.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Discovery response from MWAR 'Cisco_55'running version 7.0.220.0 is rejected.
*Mar  1 00:05:59.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to decode discovery response.
*Mar  1 00:05:59.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: CAPWAP SM handler: Failed to process message type 2 state 2.
*Mar  1 00:06:19.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Discovery response from MWAR 'Cisco_55'running version 7.0.220.0 is rejected.
*Mar  1 00:06:19.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to decode discovery response.
*Mar  1 00:06:19.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: CAPWAP SM handler: Failed to process message type 2 state 2.
*Mar  1 00:06:19.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to handle capwap control message from controller
*Mar  1 00:06:19.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to process unencrypted capwap packet from 192.168.1.39
*Mar  1 00:06:19.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Discovery response from MWAR 'Cisco_55'running version 7.0.220.0 is rejected.
*Mar  1 00:06:19.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to decode discovery response.
*Mar  1 00:06:19.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: CAPWAP SM handler: Failed to process message type 2 state 2.
*Mar  1 00:06:19.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to handle capwap control message from controller

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card