cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NEW AP not registering with WiSM ;

janet.maxwell
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning! We just installed 2 Wism controllers and added several AP' which are working correctly. Yesteday we added 9 more AP to the network. The AP's are getting DCHP from the DHCP server not Wism's, the APs are reachable via ping from any location but Not the WISM. THe yare not registering w/thje COntrollers. Did I missed something; controlers are on code 4.1.185.0. which was recently upgraded. Has anyone seen this?

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Janet,

Not to worry, this is extremely common. To help troubleshoot this will require a little more info from your end :) There are some debugs listed in the attached docs that will help here;

Lightweight AP (LAP) Registration to a Wireless LAN Controller (WLC)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00806c9e51.shtml

Troubleshoot a Lightweight Access Point Not Joining a Wireless LAN Controller

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a00808f8599.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob, Thanks for the links, I turned debugging on for both debug detail events and debug lwapp packets; None of my Newly added AP MAC ADDR's are showing up in the debug. I also want to state that they are getting DHCP from external DHCP server; I check the scope to make sure option 43 is enabled according to as spefified on Cisco's web. we were never able to get DHCP Option 60: type ASCII, value “Cisco AP c1240”

to work and the existing AP's are connecting to the WisM's on ver 4.1.185 well with out it. Is there another way to to get the LWAPP to register?

Presuming your DHCP lease includes a DNS Server address, the other way is to scrap the DHCP 43 / 60 options, and use DNS instead.

To use DNS, ensure the AP receives DNS server info in the DHCP lease, and then configure a host in DNS called CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER, and resolve that address to the Management interface of a WLC.

Richard.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: