cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New setup of aironet 3600 and WLC 5500

zibius001
Level 1
Level 1

I need to setup 16 AP and 1 WLC with 2 SSID.

Want is the best config I can put in place on the WLC. I followed most of what is on that site:

http://araihan.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/complete-guide-to-build-a-cisco-wireless-infrastructure-using-cisco-wlc-5500-cisco-1142-ap-and-microsoft-radius-server/

WIndows DHCP server as 4 scope

1.1.5.1 (For AP, option 43 is pointing to WLC) VLAN 5

1.1.6.1 (For WIFI client that will need access to corporate servers) VLAN 6

1.1.7.1 (For WIFI client that will need internet access only) VLAN 7

I configured the management interface to be on the same subnet as the AP.

Created 2 more interfaces

Corporate (VLAN 6)

Guest (VLAN 7)

I created 2 WLAN and 1 AP group with both SSID and all the AP assigned to it.

The result:

I got some AP to get an IP address from my DHCP server but the wireless clients do not get to the DHCP server.

I think I'm missing something. Should the DHCP option, on the WLC, be set to procy on bridged ?

The IP Helper address as been set on the three VLAN on the core switch.

Any idea would be appreciated

3 Replies 3

Rob Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Note on DHCP proxy::

Information About Configuring DHCP Proxy

When DHCP proxy is enabled on the controller, the controller unicasts DHCP requests from the client to the configured servers. At least one DHCP server must be configured on either the interface associated with the WLAN or the WLAN itself.

When DHCP proxy is disabled on the controller, those DHCP packets transmitted to and from the clients are bridged by the controller without any modification to the IP portion of the packet. Packets received from the client are removed from the CAPWAP tunnel and transmitted on the upstream VLAN. DHCP packets directed to the client are received on the upstream VLAN, converted to 802.11, and transmitted through a CAPWAP tunnel toward the client. As a result, the internal DHCP server cannot be used when DHCP proxy is disabled. The ability to disable DHCP proxy allows organizations to use DHCP servers that do not support Cisco’s native proxy mode of operation. It should be disabled only when required by the existing infrastructure.

Note

DHCP proxy is enabled by default.

DHCP Proxy is enabled by default & leave it like that.  Not required to configure any DHCP option on WLC.

I would check all the dynamic interfaces (vlan 6 & 7) on WLC correctly configured with DHCP server IP address.

If you configure a switch port to vlan 6 or 7 & connect a PC via wired & verify it gets IP from DHCP server. Then you are sure nothing wrong with your DHCP server & switch configs.

HTH

Rasika

So I got the laptop to authenticate with the WLC but it's not getting an ip address

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: