Views
Helpful
Replies

New to WLAN

tiwang
Level 3
Level 3

Hi folks

I must admit it - I am new to Wlan technology - and have bought an cheap (non cisco) WLAN router with an build 10/100mbps switch. I am of course a little worried about the security issues when activating such a unit in my homeoffice. To raise the security level on this unit (a TopCom WBR611) I have disabled SSID broadcasting - and set a non-default SSID of course - and activated WEP with a 64bit encryption level. How can I verify if I has locked the door ?? Of course I have tried to connect with an invalid WEP and this works fine and the net is also invisible now - any suggestion what I else should do ??

Kind Regards

Thomas Iwang

2 Replies 2

shh5455
Level 3
Level 3

That is probably sufficient. Go for a 128 bit WEP key if it is available.

Hi Thomas.

Disabling SSID broadcast is very important. Like was said in the previous post, you should use 128bit WEP key if it's available.

You should also check if you have other security mechanisms, like MAC address authentication and other authentications systems, like Radius.

Another advice, if you're locking the wireless door...don't forget to lock all your systems. (Permissions...updates...firewall...you name it)

Remember that multi-layer security is very important!

If you want to scare all those wardrivers, set your SSID to SST-PR-1 (sst-pr-1?? what? Google for it) :).

Cheers,

Francisco.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card