Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

New WLC Setup

hello all

Our wireless setup is new  consisting of One WLC 5508 series with 50AP license.  in total the no of AP are 25, most of them is 2602 model and few are 3700 series.  My question are

(1) what is the best way to configure/manage the hostname, userid and password for all the AP.  All the AP gets dynamic IP address from a L3 switch.

(2) Ideally how many users are should be connected on each AP for 2600 and 3700 series consdering only data traffic for now?

(3) What Ideal speed should be expected from 2600 and 3700 series for user connection and what should be the download rate on 2600 and 3700 AP

(4)  what data rate should be configured for  802.11a/n/c  & 802.11b/g/n

thanks in advance for assistance

regards

ST

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

On WLC > Wireless > 802.11a/n

On WLC > Wireless > 802.11a/n/ac >High Throughput (802.11n/ac) 

Yes, this is where you change the data rates settings.  Make sure you also the do not have the data rates setting found in the RF Profile is not enabled.

By default the cleanair is not enabled, what you recommend for this? 

I would recommend using CleanAir but this is a case-to-case basis only.  Some people have disable CleanAir because some wireless clients, particularly location tracking, do not like CleanAir.  

I see lot of rogue access Point around, do I need any configuration on WLC to improve performance?

Unless you can prove that the rogue AP is located INSIDE your premises (and on the same floor as you), then you can do some action.  But I strongly advice you to leave rogue AP alone because someone would just be itching to sue-your-pants-off.  

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

(1) what is the best way to

(1) what is the best way to configure/manage the hostname, userid and password for all the AP.  All the AP gets dynamic IP address from a L3 switch.

By default, all your APs will share the same username/password.  You can assign this globally or individually.  

Globally, you go to Wireless > Access Points > Global Configuration and look under "Login Credentials".

(2) Ideally how many users are should be connected on each AP for 2600 and 3700 series consdering only data traffic for now?

Define "data traffic".  All traffic is "data traffic".  What traffic are you thinking of?  Web/E-Mails/IM?  HD Videos?  Voice? 

Rule of thumb for Cisco APs is 25 wireless clients to an AP.  The number goes up/down depending on the type of traffic going through.  If you will have HD Video traffic then this number goes down to about 8 wireless clients per AP.  If it's just your everyday web/e-mails/IM then this number can potentially go up to 35 wireless clients. 

One of the biggest factor affecting "how many clients per AP" is your LAN/WAN link.  Let's say your AP will be connected to a 100 Mbps switch port.  If this is the case, then the number of clients will drop to single-figure.   

(3) What Ideal speed should be expected from 2600 and 3700 series for user connection and what should be the download rate on 2600 and 3700 AP

Depends on the wireless NIC card.  I've seen wireless NIC card which says 802.11 b/g/n but won't download more than 155 Mbps.  

(4)  what data rate should be configured for  802.11a/n/c  & 802.11b/g/n

Disable data rates (both radios) from 11 Mbps and BELOW.  Make 18 Mbps as "Mandatory" and the rest (including 12 Mbps) as "Supported".

The most important thing is this:  Get a wireless site survey done.  When you do a wireless site survey, set up your survey for VOICE and on 802.11a radio.  

Many thanks Leo.Wireless >

Many thanks Leo.

Wireless > Access Points > Global Configuration and look under "Login Credentials"

Can I change the username/password/enable password from the above option and it would be applied for all AP ( is this correct)

On WLC > Wireless > 802.11a/n/ac >High Throughput (802.11n/ac)  - What should be selected here in supported . I see
[[ HTC MCS Index (data rate) SS and VHt MCS Index, Data rate starts from 7Mbps till 217 Mbps ]]

I see lot of rogue access Point around, do I need any configuration on WLC to improve performance?

many thanks again

ST

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Can I change the username

Can I change the username/password/enable password from the above option and it would be applied for all AP ( is this correct)

Globally, you go to Wireless > Access Points > Global Configuration and look under "Login Credentials".  You can change the username/password of all the APs here.  

If you want to change the username/password for each AP then you go to Monitor > look for All APs and click on the Detail.  Look for the AP and go to the "Credentials" tab and tick "Over-ride Global credentials".

thanks Leo

thanks Leo

Hall of Fame Super Gold

On WLC > Wireless > 802.11a/n

On WLC > Wireless > 802.11a/n/ac >High Throughput (802.11n/ac) 

Yes, this is where you change the data rates settings.  Make sure you also the do not have the data rates setting found in the RF Profile is not enabled.

I would recommend using CleanAir but this is a case-to-case basis only.  Some people have disable CleanAir because some wireless clients, particularly location tracking, do not like CleanAir.  

Unless you can prove that the rogue AP is located INSIDE your premises (and on the same floor as you), then you can do some action.  But I strongly advice you to leave rogue AP alone because someone would just be itching to sue-your-pants-off.  

Views
Helpful
Replies