cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Non Cisco AP, WLAN Controller & WCS

mansoor9349
Level 1
Level 1

I need to know can we connect and configure non Cisco AP to CISCO WLAN Controller and WCS.

In addition to that I need to know the basic use of WLAN controller and WCS.

An urgetn reply would be highly appreciated

cheers

5 Replies 5

jeromehenry_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Mansoor,

No you can not connect a non Cisco AP to a controller or WCS. The AP needs to speak LWAPP, which is for now a proprietary protocol. A new protocol, CAPWAP, is being developed and may allow this in the future.

To learn about controllers, I suggest reading the WLC configuration guide, accessible from Cisco Web site with your CCO account. We can also help you here if you have any specific question.

Hope it helps

Jerome

I appreciate your prompt reply. After going thorugh some stuff at Cisco Website what I understand is that WLAN Controller is a physical hardware device while WCS is software that you can run on a Server based machine(Correct me if I am wrong).

In addition to that I need to know that in order to configure a LWAP you must have a WLAN controller.But is it mandatory to have WCS for the working to WLAN Controller.

Cheers

Hi again,

You are perfectly right. A controller is a piece of hardware where the configuration of the APs is centralized. So you need a controller is you have LWAPP based APs. There are different controller models, depending on the number of access points you want to control.

WCS is software, and provides several different features, such as single point of management if you have several controller, graphical representation of your heatmaps, planning and so on.

WCS is not mandatory with LWAPP APs, it just adds extra functionalities.

hth

Jerome

Waheed Qaisar
Level 1
Level 1

1. how to configure non cisco ap to cisco wireless control system.

plese tel me CAPWAP is now established or not

wahhedqaisar@hotmail.com

yes Cisco now uses CAPWAP and has since 5.2 code.

But I still belive that third-party AP are not supported on the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card