Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

NON-ROOT TO NON-ROOT ASSOCIATION??

Hi,

I have one AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9, and two AIR-AP1242AG-N-K9. I have already configure them to work as bridge.

Root Bridge with  wireless-clients  ----------->     1   AIR-AP1242AG-N-K9

Non-Root Bridge1 with  wireless-clients  --->      1   AIR-AP1242AG-N-K9

Non-Root Bridge2 with  wireless-clients ---->      1   AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9

I notice after reseting the root bridge or one of the non-root bridges that  when I type the command "sh DOt11 associations"  the results shows that there is an associatiation between the 2 Non-Root bridge. When this happend the connection of the clients associated to this APs is very unstable.

as far as I know the association is just between Root and Non-Root bridges.

I don´t know why this happend.

In order to avoid this I disable in one of the non-root bridge (AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9) the option "Force Infrastructure Device to associate only...."

Cisco's Docs show an example of config when there is one root bridge and one non-root bridge but in my scenario I have 2 non-root bridge and one root bridge.

I would like to know if the config for my scenario must be  different from the simple scenario (1 root and 1 non-root).

I hope any of you can help me.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: NON-ROOT TO NON-ROOT ASSOCIATION??

You are correct.  I would only do the mac authentication on the non-root bridge 1st.  This way you can prevent the non-roots from associating to each other if they really are.  Then if that works, you can set the mac authentication on the root bridge with the mac address of both non-root bridges.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
5 REPLIES

I have never ran into an issue like what you have described.  What I can only think that you might try is on the non-root bridges, why not use mac-address authentication to only allow the root-bridge to authenticate to the non-root.  Other than that, I don't know what else you can do.  I'm not a fan of trying another code version unless you know for sure it is an issue with the code you are running.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your recommendations.

The mac-address authentication option you recommend is the option shown as "Root Parent MAC 1" ,"Root Parent MAC 2 ....." on Setting---> Network interface???

For root bridge , I should write down the MAC addres of the non-root bridge1  on Root Parent MAC 1 field and  on the field of Root Parent MAC 2, the  MAC of  the non-root bridge2 ?? ,  am I right?

and for the non-root bridges I should just set on Root Parent MAC 1 just the MAC address of the root bridge???

Regards,

You are correct.  I would only do the mac authentication on the non-root bridge 1st.  This way you can prevent the non-roots from associating to each other if they really are.  Then if that works, you can set the mac authentication on the root bridge with the mac address of both non-root bridges.

-Scott

Scott,

Thanks a lot for your support

regards

Keep us posted if that fixes the issue or not.

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content