cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Number of Clients Cisco 1042N LAP

Hi,

I've got the data sheets, comparison tables, Q&A and can't find anywhere some Cisco documentation that gives a guide as to how many clients can connect to a Cisco 1042N AP before degrading service.

I realise there are multiple factors i.e. frequency, type of application voice / video etc, however this is just for bog standard data traffic, email, file sharing etc over the LAN.

I've got a specification of 10 clients per AP and was going to go for the 1142, but I think the 1042 has the functionality.

The reason I'd be going for the 1042 is down to cost and there is not any requirement for VoWLAN etc in the forseeable future.

Does anyone have a data sheet or something from Cisco that gives rough estimates around number of users per AP for the 1042N?

Thanks

Malcolm

Everyone's tags (3)
7 REPLIES

Re: Number of Clients Cisco 1042N LAP

Hi Malcom,

I remember long time ago I found such doc that specifies the number of clients but I could not find it anymore.

The recommended number was about 23 or 24 data clients per AP. If you have voice clients the number reduced to 17.

I've found some other document that says up to 12 or 13 voice clients (in case you use voice).

well, it depends on many factors actually and even if only the recommended number is associating to the AP the connectoin quality varies depending on your RF environment.

In my network I can get sometimes 30+ clinets connected to an AP (1242) on same radio (2.4) without a problem.

So I think if you plan to 25 clinets per AP that will be more than great. Again, if you have something that may affect your RF environment (neighbor networks, interference, noise, metallic environment....etc) the number of clinets to join the AP without a problem might be less than that.

If you have normal RF then I am sure you can connect 30 clinets to AP radio without a problem.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Community Member

Thanks Amjad for the info, much appreciated.

I had previously found a Q&A sheet for the 1250 AP which recommends no more than 24 clients, but that seems to be the only model where there is published numbers.

I guess there are a number of variables as mentioned around WLAN "noise" but the areas that the 1042 are being installed have good RF and the areas of the building that have interferance (broadcasting equipment, microwaves etc) are having 3500i's installed so they can run clean air.

The requirement for the "standard" AP is to accommodate 10 clients without degradation of service so I think it should be fine.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards

Malcolm

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Here is a link for voice call capacity

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/vowlan/41dg/vowlan_ch3.html#wp1056913

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Community Member

Thanks Scott, handy link.

This network is a looooong way off requiring VoWLAN, however I can use this information for other projects.

Regards

Malcolm

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Number of Clients Cisco 1042N LAP

The reason I'd be going for the 1042 is down to cost and there is not any requirement for VoWLAN etc in the forseeable future.

If cost is a factor, then do you "really" need to go get a WAP that supports 802.11n?

If you are willing to push only 802.11 a/b/g then look at the cost of the 1130. 

What is network uplink like?  1040/1140 support 802.11n so if your network is 100 Mbps only, then it's useless because you'll hit bottleneck if someone starts pushing 802.11n traffic. 

Does anyone have a data sheet or something from Cisco that gives rough estimates around number of users per AP for the 1042N?

It doesn't matter what model.  Cisco's rule of thumb will depend entirely upon the nature of the traffic being pushed.  On paper, the document states no more than 25 clients per WAP.

In practice, if you are just simply doing web, email, etc, then the number could go up to 35 per WAP.  If you want to do video then the number drops to around 8.

Community Member

This is for a tender response with a potential new customer which states that 802.11n is a requirement so this is mandatory.  Cost is still a factor though we need to meet the required specification.

We do not have detailed information around network uplinks or topology etc however even if there are 100Mbps uplinks (which I doubt, given the sector the customer operate in) we have to put a proposal together that will span a 5 - 10 year technology refresh window.

They have not specified anything around multimedia applications etc in place at the moment therefore I approached it as if applications used were email, file sharing etc with no unified comms & video etc.

However, if we proposed a wireless solution that doesn't support this at a later date we will look a bit stupid given I work for a systems integrator.  I put caveats in around dependant on type of traffic etc.

The post was really to see if there are any documents published other than the 1200 AP's Q&A stating 25 clients were the limit (traffic dependant) as this was not the model we were proposing.  We have since verified with Cisco and submitted the proposal, but I just wanted to bounce it off the community in case somebody was aware of any documentation around this.

Thanks to all for the input.

Malcolm

Hall of Fame Super Blue

This is for a tender response with a potential new customer which states that 802.11n is a requirement so this is mandatory. 

Understand that for 802.11n to fully work, you need a WAP that has 802.11a radio.  Please don't put a quote down for a single-radio WAP.

The post was really to see if there are any documents published other than the 1200 AP's Q&A stating 25 clients were the limit (traffic dependant) as this was not the model we were proposing.  We have since verified with Cisco and submitted the proposal, but I just wanted to bounce it off the community in case somebody was aware of any documentation around this.

There are several ways to go down this road.

First one is a "sparse" deployment.  You only put WAPs where it's necessary or required:  Conference rooms and office areas.

Next one is "dense" deployment.  You deploy WAPs "as if" you are planning to deploy wireless VoIP or WAPs to support "roaming".  Redundancy is required.

The next one is the mother-of-all-WAP-deployment.  It's what I'd like to call wall-to-wall-WAP.  Good part about this is redundancy and location tracking.  Redundancy is significantly improve that if one WAP fails, the other WAP will increase their power.   The downside is the cost.

Do you have a WLC in the quote?

Also, be aware that the new 3600 will be able to support the up-and-coming standard of 802.11uc.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content