Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

OEAP 600 - local dhcp passthrough

Dear Support Community,

we are using Office Extend in our business for home offices. Until recently we deployed LAP1140 for this. Now with the End of LAP1140 and the much cheaper OEAP600 we wanted to test them. Those have the advantage of additional switchports which the user can utilize. You can also connect an IP phone to the enterprise switch port, which then gets tunneled through the DTLS connection to the WLAN Controller.

During that I came across the local DHCP server within the AP. It offers the network 10.0.0.0 /24 on the local switch ports as well as the personal SSID. In fact it introduces another subnet into the home network. This is a very unfortunate, given the broadcast / multicast based services running at home (Media Servers, iOS sync etc).

My question is: Can I configure the AP for DHCP passthrough on the personal SSID and switchports? So I may use the DHCP server that is somewhere within the home network?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Re: OEAP 600 - local dhcp passthrough

You can't do this with OEAP 600 series AP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

You can't do this with OEAP 600 series AP.

OEAP 600 - local dhcp passthrough

Well thanks.

Not what I wanted to hear, but at least it's a straight answer.

VIP Purple

Yes, Unfortunately this OEAP600 allow us to do very basic configurations (create local DHCP, personal SSID) on AP itself.  Via WLC we can do few other paratmeters, but nothing to fulfill your requirement.

With WLC software code 7.5 onwards they have added a feature called "Split Tunneling" (configured via WLC) to access your OEAP-600 local switchport connected devices while you are connecting to corporate SSID. But again this is ONLY for printing service (port forwarding for certain print UDP ports) & not TRUE split tunneling. In your 1140 OEAP you can configure True Split Tunneling & not limited to printer service.

In that sense I would still prefer to use 1140 (if you could afford & no wired port requirement) as OEAP & create your personal SSID which it will be utilising your home DHCP server & you could enjoy services like AppleTV,ect. (not two network at your home)

If you are interested on this split tunneling feature on your 1140 OEAP, you can read the below post

http://mrncciew.com/2013/09/09/split-tunneling-with-flexconnect/

By the way thanks for rating our responses

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Just to add

Have you looked through this guide?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11579/products_tech_note09186a0080b7f10e.shtml

With the OEAP, you have one or can use two ports (configuration) to tunnel traffic back to the WLC and the other two can be used for local connections.

Now will bonjour work... I don't know, but that's something you will need to test.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies