cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Office Extend DHCP Issue with FlexConnect Local Switching

Ivaylo Georgiev
Level 1
Level 1

I have a "staff" SSID configured for local switching and a handful of APs distributed to a bunch of offices. They are all mapped to the local VLANs and working fine. The clients get their IP addresses from the local dhcp server.

The thing is that we purchased an Office Extend AP for a teleworker and we wanted to use the same SSID for the AP. The problem is that if I connect to that SSID from the Office Extend AP, I am not getting an IP. Is there a way to configure DHCP for just that one AP - either locally on the AP, or tunnel the DHCP request ot the central office, or do I have to configure SSID on the controller just for that one AP?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You should map this SSID to a dynamic interface where DHCP configured. Then only central switching clients (OEAP600) can get an IP. This won't impact local switching clients as they will go to mapped vlan locally.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Yahya Jaber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

it should be straight forward, and the clients should get an IP address directly.

please attach a debug client when the client tries to connect, and show run-config

also please review the following guide http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11579/products_tech_note09186a0080b7f10e.shtml

What interface this SSID is mapped to ? Does that interface configured with a DHCP server address ?

For the Flexconnect APs, since you are doing local switching SSID can be mapped to any interface (dhcp or non-dhcp). For central switching clients (OEAP 600 clients) dynamic interface should configured with a DHCP server address.

Locally configured DHCP on OEAP600 is only for Personal SSID you create on AP & the normal local wired port user connectivity. Not for corporate SSID users. You do not want to create seperate SSID for this.

HTH

Rasika

rasikanayanajith,

the ssid is mapped to mgmt interface.

are you saying that if I point my mgmt interface to a dhcp server, that is not going to screw up the rest of the access points - are the clients connected to the HREAP APs still going to get IP from the VLANs/subnets that they are mapped to?

You should map this SSID to a dynamic interface where DHCP configured. Then only central switching clients (OEAP600) can get an IP. This won't impact local switching clients as they will go to mapped vlan locally.

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card