Views
Helpful
Replies

Our wireless network always disconnect clients

Wilson Kwok
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm newbie on Cisco wireless network, please give me some help on our Cisco WLC 2500, for example how to check and configure channel ?

Thanks

18 Replies 18

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Leo,

We have 2 APs 1131 located in upstairs and 2 APs 1131 located in downstairs, the WCL is 2504 version, I have checked all APs channel is differents with my Android Apps (Wifi Analyzer), they are not overlapping. Also used Fing APs to check one floor SSID connecting 45 clients (I think it is searched two floors).

I have few questions here:

1. How to know one AP connected how may clients?

2. How many clients can support on WCL 2504?

3. How many clients can support on 1131 AP?

Thanks

How to know one AP connected how may clients?

There are two ways to this question:

1.  If your WLC is running 7.5.X, one of the tables they've populated in the AP Summary page is the number of Associated clients connected to each AP (not per radio).

2.  If you are not running 7.5.X then go to the "Clients" section and create a "Filter".

How many clients can support on 1131 AP?

Rule-of-Thumb:  25.

Take note that the 1131AG has a FastEthernet uplink.  If you are doing nothing but email, web browsing, etc. then you can potentially bring the number up to 35.  If you are doing HD videos, then this number goes to about 8 clients.  Again, the uplink is a source of concern. 

Hi Leo,

The WLC running 7.3.101.0 version, I can see all clients connected to which APs on MONITOR > Summary > Client Summary, so no need to use filter.

All APs running Boot version 12.3.8.0 / IOS version 12.4(25e)JAL$ <--- can you explain what different between Boot and IOS verson ?

In this case, do you think our WLC and APs version too old ?

Thanks

can you explain what different between Boot and IOS verson ?

This is irrelevant as the WLC dictates what IOS all APs should use.

In this case, do you think our WLC and APs version too old ?

In my opinion, yes.  You need to upgrade your WLC software to something recent like 7.4.110.0 or wait for a few more weeks and 7.4.111.0 will be out.

just to add, I think 1131 AP is old too... It only supports A/G & data rates & limited to 54Mbps. If you require higher throughput (802.11n) which most of BYOD support these days, you need to have your AP upgraded.

Also think what type of switch these devices connect to, if it is 1Gbps switch then no switch upgrade required. But if it is 100Mbps switches then you need to think about switch upgrade as well.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Wilson Kwok
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We have network monitoring tool to check those APs traffic, two downstairs APs using average 8 Mbps in two days, it's not high traffic, so I think the WLC and APs software too old version.

I'm newbie of Cisco Wireless, can someone exaplian how to upgrade them ?

Thanks

I'm newbie of Cisco Wireless, can someone exaplian how to upgrade them ?

Go here.

Hi Leo,

After read your link, which file I need to upgrade of the following items ?

Early Deployment (ED)—These software releases provide new features and new hardware platform support as well as bug fixes.

Maintenance Deployment (MD)—These software releases provide bug fixes and ongoing software maintenance.

Deferred (DF)—These software releases have been deferred. We recommend that you migrate to an upgraded release.

And how to upgrade existing APs from WLC ?

Thanks

And how to upgrade existing APs from WLC ?

You upgrade the WLC and the WLC will upgrade the APs.

After read your link, which file I need to upgrade of the following items ?

Upgrade to 7.4.110.0.

Make sure you upgrade the Field Upgradeable Software (FUS) code too.

Hi Leo,

Do you mean simultaneously upgrade WLC and APs ? or upgraded the WLC and the WLC will auto schedule to upgrade APs ?

Thanks

Do you mean simultaneously upgrade WLC and APs

No.  The  firmware of the AP is dependent on the firmware found in the WLC.  The WLC controls what firmware all the APs should be running.

auto schedule to upgrade APs ?

You need WCS/NCS or PI to be able to do schedule IOS upgrade to the AP.

Hi Leo,

OK, thanks for your information, I will follow your link to check the WLC first.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: