Views
Helpful
Replies

Outdoor AP with dual-band support

superduperlopez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to come up with the right solution for a customer who require a couple of outdoor APs....

The 1310 springs to mind.....however, it only supports 802.11b/g and, ideally, the customer wants something that it is dual-band..

So I looked into the 1524SB....however, from what I've been reading, being a mesh AP it only uses the 802.11a standard for backhaul..so that, again, would leave us with 802.11b/g for usage

With the above in mind, my current approach is to suggest the customer to go for indoor AP with an outdoor enclosure

Enclosure wise, this seems to be Cisco Compatible:

http://www.terra-wave.com/pdf/TerraWave_Cisco_STI_Catalog.pdf

My questions are:

• that's the above sounds about right?

• could anyone recommend an AP and a "matching" outdoor enclosure which you have successfuly deployed? customer currently has a 5508 with 1262s and 1142s

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Superduperlopez... I like the name! Just to let you know, you can enable client access on the 5ghz backhaul if you want. Now depending if you need AP's out on the open like on poles, the mesh units are your best bet. If you can mount external antenna to the side of a building, then using a 1260 AP with the external connectors is a good choice. I have done this setup with various AP models in which I would have the external antennas mounted on a wall mount pole and cable running inside to a nema enclosure which the AP would reside.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for you advice.

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

How about the 1550 series, does b/g/a/n and has clean air technology.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card