Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Overlapping Channels Query

Hi,

I'm troubleshooting a wireless issue at one of our sites and had a query about the current setup. I've attached a diagram of the AP locations and the channels that are in use.

I notice that there are a few neighbouring APs using the same (overlapping) channel and wondered if this is of any concern. Wireless is not my speciality, but as far as I understand it, neighbouring APs are supposed to use non-overlapping channels.

For Info;

APs 2-3,9 -10, and 26 use omni-directional antennas

APs 4-8, 11-15, use directional antennas facing out of the building.

All APs are autonomous and use the same SSID

Should the channels be reconfigured so there are no overlapping channels?

Thanks,

Paul

HTH Paul ****Please rate useful posts****
  • Getting Started with Wireless
Everyone's tags (2)
2 REPLIES

Re: Overlapping Channels Query

The short answer is yes. The channels should be re configured to not overlap.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Bronze

Overlapping Channels Query

Hi,

When working with wireless on the 2.4ghz we need to make sure that you distribut the 3 non overlapping channels between all your access points so that the access points with the same channel are the further apart and on the 5ghz we do not need to worry about this becasue all the channels are non overlapping vrs the 2.4ghz that the only non overlapping channels are 1-6-11.

Also we need to keep in mind that other access points close to you from another company will create interfirence to yours and yours to them the only way to fix this is distribut the non overlapping channels between your access points and the close access points.

Views
Helpful
Replies