cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PC with WMP600N wireless adaptor connect to farther access point not nearest one

Hi all,

Kindly i have a

1-PCs with LinkSys WMP600N wireless adaptors (Windows

2-WLC 2504

3- Wireless access points LAP-1041-E-K9

the PC Wireless adaptors are connecting to the farther Access point not the nearest access point

in the begining of its working the PCs connect to the nearest one but after sometimes it will connect to the farther one

any help with this??

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The decision to join which AP is made by the WMP600N.  There's nothing an AP can do about it.

You could "influence" the decision by disabling some of the lower data rates.

HI Leo,

Thanks for your answer

i remember i read a discussion here before and they mention that you need to update the driver but unfortunately there is no update here for this model in windows 8 (plug n play) , so there is nothing here can be done on WLC

Can i force some PCs to connect to a certain access point ??

Thanks againg

The discussion you read was probably due to code versions that had issues with windows 8 drivers.  Take a look at this link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27213

Can you force PC's to connect to certain AP's... not really, as thats not how wireless standards are created.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for ur reply ,

the problem here is not the PCs can't connect n associate to the AP but that they connect after sometimes and randomly to the farther AP not nearest AP, i knw nw that selection is done by Wireless adaptor it self n the controller has no hand in this

That really is not an AP issue per say since the wireless adaptor is the one who will choose which AP it wants to join.  Also, the adapter usually will join an AP and stay with that ap if the signal is still good.  You can't force a device to associate to a certain AP or a closer AP.  Try updating the firmware of the device, but again, that might help or it might not.  As long as there is good signal, it doesn't matter what AP it joins.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Do you have client load balancing on in the wlc ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

HI Scott,

unfortunately the client join access point that has a lower Signal

@George,

i don't really knw , what does this feature do?

Thanks guys

Well the issue is your wireless adapter especially if other devices work fine. What is poor signal to you might not be port signal to the wireless adaptor. Have you tried other adapters, does other wireless devices work fine and it just these? If so then its an issue with those cards.

George is asking if you have client load balancing enabled. This is found in the WLAN in the advanced tab on the lower right section.

From the CLI of the WLC type: show WLAN

And post the output.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card