Views
Helpful
Replies

Pls help a 'Newbie'!

duncangrant
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks,

I am trying to configure a 1200 - straight out of the box, so factory defaults (no radio on, set to receive IP from a DHCP server etc.).

Our newtwork guy who would normally install such kit resigned with very short notice and took all information with him... so I am left trying to configure this unit with no information other than PDF's I have downloaded from Cisco.

My normal line of work is installing PC based process control systems, so I am used to dealing with networks, albeit CAN-Bus, Profibus, and other such flavours - however, I have also installed 'wired ethernet', so understand the basics and I am very practical.

I made my own console lead and can now sucessfully communicate with the 1200 via a Hyperterminal session. I have set up an IP address and some other basics, but I am now stuck. I am trying to connect to the 1200 unit via the ethernet port to use the GUI to continue setting up (because I guess this is the easier way for someone like me). However, I cannot connect to the 1200 this way - and yes, I have set my PC network card to a IP in the same range etc. and am using a Crossover patch cable etc.I have also installed an applet called 'IPSU', and that cannot 'see' the 1200 either.

When I am in a console session, if I use the 'Ping' command built-in to the 1200 software, I get a 100% success report to the IP I have set-up in the 1200 (don't know if this prooves anything though...)

Is there a PDF primer that explains all the choices available in the CLI?

How do I invoke the 'express setup' option in the console?

Hope someone can help me with what must seem like basics to you guys...

PS - It might help if I describe my application... It is really basic, so basic I could do it with a (dare I say it) consumer type product, but for the range I require (so 'proper' antenna's are order of the day). I am hooking up the 1200 to a switch that is part of a greenhouse environmental control system. The AP is to allow the growers the freedom to walk around the greenhouse with HP IPAQ'S, so that they can be in touch with the PC that supervises the various control systems, The host PC runs a very locked-down NT4.5 platform, with a WEB server set up. The IPAQS simply use their built-in internet explorer app to link to the host via the AP. We have done this before, but then our network guy left us, as I explained above.... ho-hum!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Part of the problem may be where you applied your IP address.

You should put your IP address on the "BVI1" interface, not the ethernet or the radios.

BVI Stands for "Bridged Virtual Interface" and is the logical element that identifies the system for management.

IPSU is just a utility to assign an address without having to console into the AP. To use IPSU, you need either the MAC assress (to get or put an IP address) or the IP address (to get the MAC of the AP).

As you've mentioned, once you have an IP address on the BVI inerface:

enable

config t

int BVI1

ip addr xx.xx.xx.xx mm.mm.mm.mm (x's are address, m's are the mask)

no shut

^Z (;control Z - to go back to enable mode)

You should be able to use a web browser to finish the configuration through the GUI (includes an "Express Setup")

If you are accessing through your locked-down system, you may need to loosen up your software firewall (if you have one) to permit the traffic.

The default SSID for Cisco is "tsunami" - with the AP plugged into the wired network and your clients configured for the "tsunami" SSID, you should be able to pass traffic in both directions. The IP address of the AP is strictly for management.

From the console, you can check the status of the interfaces with a "show ip interface brief" (abbreviated to sh ip int br) it will show you the address and status of each interface it knows about.

As for the primer, start with the "Configuration Guides" (do a search from the main site on "AP1200 configuration guide").

There is also a CLI command guide available, but I believe you need a paid Cisco SmartNet account to access it. It used to be on the same pages with the Software Download pages.

Hopefully this will get you going, then we can get you to the information that'll allow you to further configure the system (encryption, authorization, etc.).

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Part of the problem may be where you applied your IP address.

You should put your IP address on the "BVI1" interface, not the ethernet or the radios.

BVI Stands for "Bridged Virtual Interface" and is the logical element that identifies the system for management.

IPSU is just a utility to assign an address without having to console into the AP. To use IPSU, you need either the MAC assress (to get or put an IP address) or the IP address (to get the MAC of the AP).

As you've mentioned, once you have an IP address on the BVI inerface:

enable

config t

int BVI1

ip addr xx.xx.xx.xx mm.mm.mm.mm (x's are address, m's are the mask)

no shut

^Z (;control Z - to go back to enable mode)

You should be able to use a web browser to finish the configuration through the GUI (includes an "Express Setup")

If you are accessing through your locked-down system, you may need to loosen up your software firewall (if you have one) to permit the traffic.

The default SSID for Cisco is "tsunami" - with the AP plugged into the wired network and your clients configured for the "tsunami" SSID, you should be able to pass traffic in both directions. The IP address of the AP is strictly for management.

From the console, you can check the status of the interfaces with a "show ip interface brief" (abbreviated to sh ip int br) it will show you the address and status of each interface it knows about.

As for the primer, start with the "Configuration Guides" (do a search from the main site on "AP1200 configuration guide").

There is also a CLI command guide available, but I believe you need a paid Cisco SmartNet account to access it. It used to be on the same pages with the Software Download pages.

Hopefully this will get you going, then we can get you to the information that'll allow you to further configure the system (encryption, authorization, etc.).

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks for the prompt reply Scott...

I will try your suggestions. I am actually configuring the AP on my service laptop, which is running XP Pro with a McAfee firewall - I just switch this out when configuring devices that upset it!

FYI (and not wishing to be pedantic), the latest 1200's are shipped with 'radio off' and no SSID (for extra security, apparently). Also, I have the MAC address of the AP (it is on a sticker on the base of the unit), but I still couldn't assign an IP using the IPSU applet...

Also FRI, we use a special industrial grade PC for the host system (twin PSU's, raid, hot-swap, built in UPS etc.). There are two networks - a CAN-bus network for the control systems and an standard

ethernet for the 'Users side' - the lock-down is very severe to stop users accessing stuff they shouldn't!

Duncan.

Scott,

Your my man! - I entered the commands you suggested and I am now in the GUI - I'll have a go at the rest myself, but if I get stuck again, I'll post back here...

I did search Cisco with a similar search criteria to the one you suggested before posting, but the trouble is, the Cisco documents seem to assumme you already know the product - I could not find a primer in the downloads section (which you suspected would be the case). I don't have an account with Cisco, so I guess I'll have to do without...

Many thanks for your help, cheers,

Duncan.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card