Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

PoE Access Point for ASA 5505?

Hello,

I have a ASA 5505 at home and would like a cheap access point to plug into the PoE port of the ASA, can anyone suggest one?  Or is is better just to get a normal AP and plug in to the ASA and use an external power supply?

Thanks

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Or is is better just to get a normal AP and plug in to the ASA and use an external power supply?

I'd get a power injector or a power supply for your AP.

What I mean is I have an ASA for my house and need to add a cheap WiFI solution and seeing I have a PoE port on the ASA 5505, what options do I have?  I see there are expensice APs from Cisco, but wondered if there are other solutions?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Andy,

Not sure how much PoE can an ASA provide PoE.  A lot of APs require 15.4w and newer APs, like the 3700, require an "average" of 20.0w PoE.  You can operate the 3700 at 15.4w PoE but the number of in/out and spatial streams go down.

Cisco's PWR-INJ4 is made by a company called Phihong and this company makes a lot of mid-span PoE products.

Check out the POE36U-1AT.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: PoE Access Point for ASA 5505?

The ASA 5505 is the same hardware as the WLC 2504. Now will it power up the AP... Sure as long as the AP is 802.af. Will the ap communicate on the network. I have no clue as I never attempted to connect an AP to an ASA5505 direct. Like Leo mentioned get a power injector or an AC power cord and connect the AP to a switch.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Power Over Ethernet

Ethernet 0/6 and Ethernet 0/7 support PoE for devices such as IP phones  or wireless access points. If you install a non-PoE device or do not  connect to these switch ports, the adaptive security appliance does not  supply power to the switch ports.

If you shut down the switch port using the shutdown command, you disable power to the device. Power is restored when you enter no shutdown. See the "Configuring Switch Ports as Access Ports" section for more information about shutting down a switch port.

To view the status of PoE switch ports, including the type of device connected (Cisco or IEEE 802.3af), use the show power inline command.

**Souce ::

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/int5505.html#wp1056861

The 5505 can power up any 802.3af AP. In production environments I've had issues with power dropping on the 2 POE ports.

If you are looking for an inexpensive Cisco AP, I would suggest the 1602 or the AP700. I'm not sure if the 700 is shipping yet, but it is the lowest cost of the Aironet APs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content