Views
Helpful
Replies

PoE Injectors and distance limitation

d.mikheyenko
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

Do Cisco PoE injectors for 3500 APs and 1552e APs act as a repeater? Another words, can we run 100m cat5e from the network to the injector and then another 100m from injector to the AP?

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That should work as long as the ethernet to the AP is within the limit, which includes the patch cable.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

I am not sure I understand. The ethernet to the AP traverses the injector, so I could interpret your answer as "Yes, you could dod 100m from the switch to the AP".

My setup is:

Ethernet switch === 100m ==== PoE Injector === 100m ==== AP

Another words my total ethernet run is 200m. This "should" work IF the PoE injector regenerates the signal, like a repeater. This is the piece that I do not know.

Thanks!

Power Injectors typically do that.  Typically what I see is fiber being ran out to the AP and then a converter to ethernet to the power injector is used.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It should work but there will be a power loss in the cable and not sure if the required power reaches to the AP to power ON its radio...

aqjaved
Level 3
Level 3

The injector just needs to deliver voltage (not a signal), like any wire, so distance shouldn't really be a problem.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card