Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor performance for my wlan in conference rooms

Hi,

I have real problems in my conference rooms. I have deployed about 25 aps for my building. I have 1242, 1131, 3501 and 1142's. I have a 2 story building. I've used the WCS maps feature to provide me with a coverage area map. I think that the upstairs and downstairs AP's are interfering with each other. It was suggested I put 3 AP's into one conference room, each with it's own a/b or g radio. How do I pinpoint what is causing the problems with connectivity in my conference rooms?     

Also, have you tried manually adjusting power levels? I believe once I start with that, I'll have to touch each and every ap, if I start messing with that. Any suggestions?

Thanks            

Everyone's tags (2)
7 REPLIES

Re: poor performance for my wlan in conference rooms

Make a site survey. If you don't have one Then you will not know what to do.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Bronze

Remeber that when working with wireless we should always do a site survey to determine the current rf the site has, where to locate the access points , how many access points to get and where to install each ap so that the overlap between the aps is not more then 15%.

Also once the APs are installed you can use the wlc options and heck how many rouges aps the wlc aps are seeing since this rouges would affect your aps and auto rrm will not be able to know what channel to use on the aps managed by your wlc so you would need to configure it manully, also you can go to the monitro tab, select the ap by ap to see how each ap sees the signal to another ap managed y the wlc.

For auto rrm to work on the wlc you need that each ap sees atleast 3 more aps with a good signal to be able to set the correct power and channel to use.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Thanks for your response. I did find the monitor tab on the WCS and I am seeing -67dbm as closest neighbor. There is also a -50dbm,  Is that too close? Also is it RSSI the WCS monitor tab is showing? or SNR? Thanks

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi Thanks for your response. I did find the monitor tab on the WCS and I am seeing -67dbm as closest neighbor. There is also a -50dbm,  Is that too close? Also is it RSSI the WCS monitor tab is showing? or SNR?

Errrr ... What happened to the WLC's Dynamic Channel Assignment (DCA) and Transmit Power Control (TPC)?  Are these  turned off?

no, they are not turned off. Yet I am having issue after issue with connectivity in one conf room. We are about to manually configure if we can't get this to work better. thanks

Hall of Fame Super Silver

There is a lot of things you need to look at... default setting on the WLC, isn't always going to work.  Your issue is only with that conference room correct?  Then have you looked at the clients who are complaining?  Can you replicate the issue in that room? 

Post your show run-config (attach it, don't paste it in the reply... makes the thread too long)

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Bronze

The option of the wlc to set the channel automaticaly dca or the transmit power to use will work if each ap is able to see a good signal to 3 more access points managed by the same wlc if not auto rrm will not work at all.

Also this will only be able to detect the channels being used on other access points managed by the wlcs on the same mobility regarding the rougs it will not be able to see the channel of the rouge aps because it does not manage them .

Also you could use clean air if you have clean air aps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content