cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Portable devices unable to connect to 1142

jonahjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

I have looked through some posts on here of other people having the same trouble, I tried doing the different things suggested and it still is not working.

Laptops/desktops can connect to the open SSID perfect, but anything portable such as iPads, Kindles, Phones etc. do not ever get an IP.

I'm remotely troubleshooting this issue for a customer and have SSH ability.

Has anyone else experienced this and not been able to fix it with the suggested ways from other posts?

change preamble-long disabling aironet extension and changing the DTIM.

Thanks for any help

9 Replies 9

RouterPouter
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Jonah,

If it's any consolation I bet I'm having your exact issue.  I don't want to duplicate either of our efforts, but I'd take a look at this thread I started updating a few days ago (IPAD NOT CONNECTING TO AP 1142https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3650398#3650398
) as thre are some helpful folks there that are giving me some ideas.  So far though, iPads/iPods/iWhatevers can NOT connect to my 1142.  Desktops/laptops connect no problem.

Brian

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

When this type of issues i have seen them occur is becasue the SSID is not broadcasted and the mobile devices require that the SSID is broadcasted, you have configured all encryption methods on the WLAN and the WLC can support all encryption methods enable but this does not mean that the wireless client will support it and also wireless clients can only do one encryption method at a time.

I would check that the WLAN is set to have the ssid broadcasted, configured to use WPA version 2 + AES +PSK only, and disable sesssion time out, client exclusion, mfp protection and aironet extensions.

fbarboza,

Thanks.  Just to make sure I'm understanding what you're asking, let me show some config snippets.  My "dot11 ssid" commands look something like this:

--

vlan 3

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

mbssid guest-mode

wpa-psk ascii 7 075E731F1A5A4B5412430E

--

And my "interface dot11radio0" commands include:

--

encryption vlan 2 mode ciphers aes-ccm

--

Is this what you're asking about?

Also, in regards to this comment:

--

disable sesssion time out, client exclusion, mfp protection and aironet extensions

--

I have aironet off but can you tell me what the commands are for the first three items?

Brian

Hi Brian,

Got confuised and added commands avialable when working with a WLC, and not in stand alone.Sorry about that.

In your case just make sure you disable aironet extensions, set the encryption as you did and also set the data rates to best range.

You can set the data rates to best range by going in to the GUI click on network interfaces, then the radio it self and click on best range or you can use the command

"speed  basic-1.0 2.0 5.5 11.0 6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0"

fbarboza,

Thanks.  I have everything set already except the data rates.  Do you think any of them would have to do specifically with IOS devices not getting DHCP?  I'm within like 10 ft of the Aironet so I don't think it's a range/reception issue.

Brian    

Hi,

the data rates would not make a wireless client get or not get an IP address, the issue could be that some devices required that the lowest data rate is set as required o basic and all the other ones enable so that they can connect with no issues.

Thanks.  I have everything set already except the data rates.  Do you think any of them would have to do specifically with IOS devices not getting DHCP?  I'm within like 10 ft of the Aironet so I don't think it's a range/reception issue.

IOS-related issue wouldn't make sense as laptops can get DHCP IP Address but other mobile devices can't.

This means that those devices are trying to authenticate.  Can you try creating an SSID with OPEN authentication and checking out if these problematic devices can get an IP address?

leolaohoo/fbarboza,

Thanks, but sorry I've not been able to do this yet.  I've dumped a lot of hours into troubleshooting this and want to be sensitive to the client so we may just do a rip and replace with an Apple Airport.  I REALLY want to get to the bottom of this though, so if I can I'll try the open access point test to see if that works.

Thanks,

Brian    

Hi ,

Where you able to configure a test SSID with no security and test if the the wireless client can connect or not.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: