Views
Helpful
Replies

Ports for WLC (4404) and AP (1130ag)

markc.williams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

We have a WLC sitting behind a firewall and I'm trying to confirm that ports used for communication between the APs and the WLC.

I've enabled UDP 12222 & 12223 to the AP mgmt interface, but the AP doesn't associate with the controller

thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

The ports which you have enabled is fine but I believe your AP and WLC are in different subnets correct? If yes then they will not be able to join till the time we return management ip address of WLC to the AP via option 43 configured on DHCP server.

If AP and WLC are in same subnet then they can send a layer 2 broadcast and can get the WLC management ip address and would have joined.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thanks for the repliy

Yes, the AP and WLC controller are on different subnets.

I have manually confiured the AP with a static IP.

I did a 'debug lwapp events enable' on the WLC and get this message

Wed May 23 08:20:12 2007: Discarding L3 Mode LWAPP DISCOVERY REQUEST on intf '1', vlan = '661', Management vlan = '660'.

Wed May 23 08:20:22 2007: 00:19:30:f0:51:6a Received LWAPP DISCOVERY REQUEST from AP 00:19:30:f0:51:6a to 00:19:e7:ca:3d:03 on port '1'

Hi Mark,

You might have configured static ip address to AP but still your AP does not know about the management ip address of controller and which is mandatory information for AP to join controller.

I will recommend you to read this link which guides the way how AP can join controller when AP and management vlans are different

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/control/c44/ccfig41/c41lwap.htm#wp1105242

Or another option available is connect the AP to management vlan of WLC so that it can join the controller being in same subnet and then management ip address of controller will be saved in NVRAM of AP and then you can bring the AP into another subnet and if AP has a route from that subnet to management vlan it will join controller.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

I forget to mention that i manually set what WLC the AP should use by using:

lwapp controller ip address IP-address

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: