cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Power gain or loss?

fjcardenas-1
Level 1
Level 1

I am reading a section that says that when you change a power level from 1 to 2 for a specific AP, the power decreases by 50% ans so on. My question is: If FCC says that transmit power should not exceed 30 dBm (I guess that is power level 1 in the AP), then setting the power level to 2 would mean the power is reduced to 15 dBm

3 Replies 3

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

That is incorrect Below is a table showing the power levels in dbm along with a link to the document and a conversion chart for the dbm to mw.

Table 3-5 Example of Output Power Levels

Controller
Tx Power Settings1
Radio Output Power
802.11b/g (dBm)
802.11a (dBm)

1 (maximum)

-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/channels/lwapp/reference/guide/1130_chp.html

20dBm = 100mw

17dBm = 50mw

14dBm = 25mw

11dBm = 12.5mw

each 3dbm of change results in either a Halving or Doubling of of the power.

Does this help? If so please feel free to rate it.

Thanks,

Kayle

So, the power that is cut in half by going from power level 1 to 2 is in mw and not in dBm. The statement that each 3dbm of change results in either a Halving or Doubling of of the power, and the example made it very clear . Thank you.

The WLC power levels always confuses me a little bit.

From my  understanding it depends on the regulatory domain.

For the -E regulatory domain, the setting "1" would represent 17dBm (50mW) not 20dBm.

Check out "http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/channels/lwapp/reference/guide/lw_chp2.html"

Example for a 1240AG:

At the bottom of the page is the table "Table 6-7     Example of Output Power Levels"

The note "2" sais: "The maximum output power levels obtained from Table 6-2 and Table 6-3"

If you check out the mentioned tables, you'll see, that the maximum power levels differs between each regulatory domain.

So again, from my understanding the power level 1 means:

- 20dBm in the US (-A)

- 17dBm in the ETSI (EUROPE) (-E)

Can someone confirm my theory?

EDIT:

I just checked some live systems. The above statements are correct

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card