cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

power local

Chieu Dinh
Level 1
Level 1

- How can I set the power local to more than 12? I am only can set my power local to 12 or Max however I can see it is available for 12, 18, 21, 23 ,,,,,

- I run show controllers dot11Radio 0, it shows the current power is 0.

Any ideas?

17 Replies 17

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

where are you looking, and are we talking mW or dBm?

12mW would be power level 3

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

on the configuration,

speed  basic-6.0 basic-9.0 basic-12.0 basic-18.0 basic-24.0 basic-36.0 basic-48.0 basic-54.0

power local 12

power client 18

packet retries 128

station-role non-root

rts threshold 4000

rts retries 128

concatenation

beacon period 20

infrastructure-client

The power local I can set only 12. During the troubleshooting the association, I changed the role from Non-root bridge to Install, it automatically deleted from my configuration. I can't set any number accept 12.

I ran the command: show controlllers dot11Radio0, it display current power is 0 dBm.

That's not power, that's the rate.

did you take the bridge out of install mode?

for power under the radio interface the command would be

power local [ 20 17 14 11 8 5 2 -1]

Table 6-8 Example of Output Power Levels

Controller
Tx Power Settings1

Radio Output Power

802.11b/g (dBm)

802.11a (dBm)

1 (maximum)

-

-

1 The Tx Power Level setting of 1 represents the maximum conducted power setting for the access point. Each subsequent controller power level (such as 2, 3, 4, etc.) represents approximately a 3-dBm reduction in transmit power from the previous power level.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I take out the bridge from the install mode, I can't enter any command "power local <0-12>"

So I changed back to install mode, I can select the power local up to 12 only. (ex: power local 12)

I don't understand much about this change.

Thanks

that doesn't make sense, 12 isn't a viable power level with the Cisco AP/Bridge.

is it possible for you to reboot it while holding the mode button for 10 seconds?

this should return it to factory settings, and let you change the power settings.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

I did reset to the factory setting and then input this configuration. This is BR1400. It does not make sense to me either when I can see the option to change but I can't change it.

The Power local is set for the Radio transmit power. After I changed the battery backup for this tower, the bridge is reset and lost the configuration. Now I can't enter the power local to more than 12. The nonroot bridge can't associated with the root bridge.

power local

{ 12 | 15 | 18 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 maximum }

Set the transmit power to one of the power levels allowed in

your regulatory domain. All settings are in dBm.

Note The settings allowed in your regulatory domain might

differ from the settings listed here.

Anyone have this problem? Would you give me some helps please.

Thanks

Chieu Dinh,

Does your regulatory domain prevent you from setting higher power levels?

Also, as a test, try to change station role to root bridge and see if you can set higher power.

Justin

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thank you Justin.

I already have the role changed to root bridge but I still have 0 dBm. Do you think the problem on the power injector? or the bridge is not good anymore?

Chieu

Chieu Dinh,

Do you have a valid SSID configured on your root bridge radio interface when you try to no shut the interface?

Justin

Justin

- I changed the power injector today but it does not help either. I still get the 0 dBm in the transmitted power.

- I changed the role to root bridge, I still did not get the transmitted power. (run the show controllers dot11radio 0 and checked the log).

- I checked the SSID configured on the root bridge to match this bridge many times, it was configured correctly.

- I try to no shut and shutdown to get the association but no luck either.

- The last thing I want to try to get the new bridge to configure with the same configuration to test out this environment. But I still want to get the existing bridge on the tower working.

Thank you Justin. Anything you can helps me I am really appreciated that.

Chieu

One more thing I observed while troubleshooting this bridge, I cant' see the MAC address display on the network interfaces menu when it either up or down stage.

Chieu,

Can you post your full configuration?

Also, if you put this exact config on the other known working bridge, do you get the same results or different results?

Justin

Thank you Justin.

I tried the new bridge today. I configured it with the same configuration, I can get the power transmitted up to 22 dBm. It scaned the frequency no problem. I think the old bridge on the tower having the problem with power transmitted.

But I am still not get the association with the new bridge yet because it is not on the tower yet.

Can I send you direct to your mailbox with both configuration?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card