Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Power Supplies vs. Power injectors for Aironet 1140

I was told by my vendor that I could entend the range of our new Aironet 1140's by adding a power injector to each one.  Apparently since I have an older Cisco PoE switch that it does not provide enough power to get the full range of the access point.  Will adding a power injector to the access point trully extend the range of the access point?  Will the AC power adapter perform the same way?

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Power Supplies vs. Power injectors for Aironet 1140

Apparently since I have an older Cisco PoE switch that it does not provide enough power to get the full range of the access point.

As long as your PoE switch can provide 15.4w it should work.

I was told by my vendor that I could entend the range of our new Aironet 1140's by adding a power injector to each one.

Define "range".  Someone is getting confused between the distance from the switch using copper cable without power injector (<100 metres) and a power injector (>100 meters).

I believe you are interested to know the WiFi signal coverage?  If you are check the link below and scroll down to the 1130/1140 section.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks.

Community Member

Actually I am looking into increasing the signal strength of the access point not increase the distance of the access point from the switch.  I want to cover more area with a single access point rather than just adding more of them.

Bronze

The 1142's are capable of full power when used with standard POE.  Maybe your vendor is confusing it with the 1252's???

They are all correct, the older poe switch will supply full power to the 1142's, thus enabling you to transmit at the maximum power levels for the respective bands. Something to keep in mind when you say you want the AP to cover a larger area is that the wireless connection must be two ways, you can have an ap pump out a 1watt signal, but if the client can't match it then it won't benefit you. The average laptop has a max overall transmit power of 50mw in most cases (some will do 100mw), most external cards are 100mw and most handheld devices are 30mw-50mw to conserve on battery.  So depending on your devices and applications boosting the power on your access point may not resolve your coverage issue; actually it could make your overall connectivity worse becasue clients and ap's will continue to attempt communicate causing a higher volume of retries and issues with hidden nodes.

Hope this helps.  Please rate useful posts.

Thanks,

kayle

Community Member

Thanks for everyone's reply's they were very informative. I just wanted to avoid any dead spots in my initial roll-out since I am new to the Cisco wireless arena.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content