Views
Helpful
Replies

Powering AP's via POE switch or injector

jodamus112
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could anyone please advise if there is any difference in the power supplied to a 1142N AP when using a power injector (AIR-PWRINJ3/AIR-PWRINJ4) compared to using poe on the switch port (2960S 24 port POE switch WS-C2960S-24PS-L).

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no difference, they both will power up the AP... it just depending on how many devices you plan on powering up on the switch.  So take a look at the power supply and you can figure out how many PoE devices you can power up.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks Scott, not looking to power much devices, 2 or 3 at most, but someone once advised that in order to get full N potential from the AP's you need injectors. I take it this is not the case.

No... The only AP that required more power was the 1252, which you could still power up one radio at full power or have both radios witht eh 5ghz at a reduced level.  The 1140's which you have will work fine on the 2960.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

but someone once advised that in order to get full N potential from the AP's you need injectors.

Someone got their facts wrong.

If I was to get the full potential with N, I'd look to plug the WAP into a GigabitEthernet port.  PoE or Injector won't make any difference.

jodamus112
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot guys.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card