Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime Infrastructure for lab use question

Am wondering if anyone has tried to create a WLAN lab environment with Prime Infrastructure.  I want to use it as a teaching tool, but don't really have a VM environment available that meets the minimum specs for the express OVA.

My goal was to use it with a 2106 or 2504 in the lab, to mentor interns on how to install maps, deploy templates, etc, without having them on production gear.  I tried virtual box on my 64 bit laptop, but still... I got an error.  Something about "long mode" or similar.

Has anyone else figured out how to nail something together for a lab to teach stuff to newbies?

Thanks in advance!            

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Prime Infrastructure for lab use question

Prime really requires ESXi and having to correct specs to actually have it installed properly. I wasn't able to install Prime if I couldn't wet the hardware requirements.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
8 REPLIES

What I have done in the past was use WCS or NCS on VMworkstation or VM Player which is free. Since the 2106 only can support v7.0.x, you can also out the 2504 on v7.0.x and use WCS or NCS. PI does required you to have the server specs in order to load up. I haven't tried using VM workstation or player with Prime Infrastructure. If the is a lab, why not use a PC and load up ESXi 5.1 or 5.5 which you can for free. This way you can load up PI Express. I have a Shuttle PC in my he lab that is my ESXi host in which I run various VM's off of.

-Scott

I want to specifically use 7.4.110.0 code.  That is what we use where I am currently working.  Want to use a few features in that version.  I looked into VM Workstation 5.5 and it appeared to be a 60 day trial.

Sure wish we could take this conversation offline.  I have a great laptop that could run it all.  Seems like everything I try I end up at a dead end, but not until I end up wasting an entire weekend attempting.

I see what you want to do. The 2106 is limited to v7.0.x however. It's better to have a dedicated machine.

Have you looked at VM Player

http://www.vmware.com/support/download-player

My home lab consist of two shuttle PC's running ESXi 5.1.

http://www.ryanbirk.com/the-perfect-vmware-vsphere-5-homelab/

I know you can setup a Mac mini as an ESXi host also.

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/09/running-esxi-55-on-apple-mac-mini.html?m=1

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/04/installing-esxi-51-update-1-on-mac-mini.html?m=1

-Scott

Assuming we have the right Vmware infrastructure, can I download WCS or NCS for a trial period?

I know I tried before and was asking me for a valid contract...

Yes, you can download a trial version.  I've done it.  Just can't get it running!

Prime really requires ESXi and having to correct specs to actually have it installed properly. I wasn't able to install Prime if I couldn't wet the hardware requirements.

-Scott

Scott,

If you wanted to put together the absolute cheapest hardware you could slap together to get PI up and running in a lab, what would you choose?  Everything I do is coming out of my pocket.  If it were portable, even better!  I would love something (like a laptop) that I could bring home on weekends and back to work on Monday.

Where I work, a laptop in a backpack that never goes near the production network is acceptable.  Anything else is out of the question.

I just don't have the cash to be flopping down on hardware that arrives, doesn't work, and then gets thrown back on eBay, only to buy yet another piece of hardware that doesn't work... and gets tossed back on eBay.  Over and over and over until I find something that works.

Thanks in advance...

You can use a Mac mini:

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/04/installing-esxi-51-update-1-on-mac-mini.html?m=1

You can search for ESXi 5 install on laptop and see if someone has done it successfully. I have two Shuttle PC's running ESXi but that stays at my home lab.

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content