Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Priming the AP

Can anybody tell me wht is meant by Priming the AP?

Thanks in advance..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Priming the AP

Is the vlan being forwarded to all the switches? try to setup dhcp on the switch that the LAP's are connected to and see if you see any dhcp leases.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
15 REPLIES

Priming or staging the AP is a means of making sure the AP is ready to go before it is deployed.

To prime or stage an AP, you would connect the AP to a nearby switch before you mount the AP in the desired deployment location. You will then be able to register the AP with the controllers and bring it up to the current level of code in your production environment and also give it a static ip if desired.

Priming or staging is very beneficial in mesh environments where maintenance access to APs can be challenging and/or limited. It also will allow the APs to come online (register) faster too.

Hi Eric,

Actually the problem is this.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Getting%20Started%20with%20Wireless&topicID=.ee7c7c3&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc17068

I've tried to change the L2 LWAPP to L3 LWAPP but it didn't work for me.

I hope you can make me this solve.

Regards,

Abdul Rafay Essani

What else have you done besides changing the controller to Layer3? Also, have you rebooted the controller after the change?

Here is a good url to check:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html#wp1050985

i configured by ap-manager interface with the IP which was previously of management interface.

i even tried to enable master controller settings on my controller, but it doesn't work for me.

I thought that when you are running MESH APs on a controller it was not possible to the regular LWAPs. Am I incorrect on this?

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Are,

I can't add much to the great info from Eric (+5 points for this Eric)

Here is nice guide for this setup;

Priming Lightweight Access Points Prior to Deployment

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1100/installation/guide/1100hig6_book.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hmm,

actually rob i'm having problem in configuring my network, i hope you can make me solve this.

I've got 10 1510 AP's and a 4402 controller. currently running L2 LWAPP.

Now i've installed two more indoor AP's 1242, and in order to do so i had to change the mode to L3 LWAPP because 1242 does not work in L2 LWAPP.

So when i changed my controller settings to L3 LWAPP then the installed 10 AP's are not shown up.

Regards,

Abdul Rafay Essani

When you changed from L2 to L3, did you reboot the AP's?

-Scott

when i changed from l2 to l3, then i've to reboot my contoller to have ap-management interface, then AP's doesn't show up on controller...

Did you reboot the AP's? Also are the ap's getting an IP Address and what subnet is the ap's on and what subnet is the wlc on?

-Scott

No i've not reboot the AP's, but i'll try this also.

the entire wireless equipment is on 172.168.0.0/24, and the only reason for going to L3 LWAPP is air-lap1242 does not support L2 LWAPP.

Regards,

The requirement for L3 is that the AP will need an ip address. I would reboot the AP's and verify that they get an IP and look at the wlc logs to see if there is a join or not.

-Scott

i've rebooted the AP's but i'm unable to find any activity on wlc, nor any AP is coming on my controller.

my dhcp server is running on wlc, so during configuration of my ap-mgmt interface i've given dhcp server address of my mgmt interface of controller.

Regards,

Is the vlan being forwarded to all the switches? try to setup dhcp on the switch that the LAP's are connected to and see if you see any dhcp leases.

-Scott

yes i've setup a seperate dhcp server, then my problem get solved,

thanks fella.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content