Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with access to AP 1142

Jozef Staruch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Recently I have connected two AP AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9   to WLC 5508 via switch.

I can see both AP on WLC I can ping them but I would like to telnet or ssh to them but this does not work..

I am not fyzicaly at site and I have only remote access to WLC, switches ,, but not AP ...

Can you please advise?

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To be able to telnet or ash to the aP you need to enable that from the WLC and set a username password first. Out of curiosity, since the AP are controlled by the WLC why do you want to access s the AP directly? You would only have limited ability to to pull some commands.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thank you , those APs should be standalone.. I would like to have access for management purposes.

They have just installed them as they got them from cisco..

Do I have to change something on AP in order to have telnet or ssh acces?

Thank you , those APs should be standalone..

I'm sorry, but can you clarify?

This means that you have a WLC but your WAPs are booting up in autonomous mode.

If you want access to them then let the WAPs get IP address dynamically and telnet/ssh into them.  The username/password (by default) should be "Cisco/Cisco".

if you have them joined to your WLC you have the WLC for management.

Are you saying that tune should be IOS and not joined to your WLC?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Those two are stand alone access points , I can see them in WLC but I would like to telnet or ssh but it does not work

You don't manage the APs themselves, you manage them via the WLC if they are connected to one.

You can like Steve mentioned enable telnet or ssh for the APs via the WLC GUI but you can't do much on the APs.

Thank you , how can I enable telnet or ssh for the APs via the WLC GUI but you can't do much on the APs?

how can I enable telnet or ssh for the APs

From the CLI of the WLC, the command is "config ap telnet enable ".

From the WLC GUI, go to Access Point Summary > All APs > Details > WAP of your choice > Advanced tab > Telnet or SSH.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card