Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Problem with Wism WLC

Hi There

I need some expert help on this issue I have been experiencing.

We have 4 WISM  as our WLC and what we have been experincing is that I can see the client is associated to the access point and it receives an ip address but I cannot ping the ip address. If I move the access point to which the client is associated to, to the another controller, then I am able ping the client. The WISM Controllers are all running software Version 6.0.202.0.

That is the 1st issue, the next issue I have is with Apple devices iPads and iPhones, on the one controller I can see the association to an access point but cannot ping them. But all other devices like Laptops, Androids, etc are working fine on the same access point where the Apple device was unpingable.. When I move the access point to different controller then it is fine.

Could you please assist on this because it is becoming quite a huge problem and I cannot seem to resolve the problem.

Thanks

Irvin

Looking forward to resolution

13 REPLIES

Re: Problem with Wism WLC

are there any acl applies to the WLAN, interface or CPU?

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Problem with Wism WLC

Irvin,

For starters... Are you trying to ping this device from your wired or wireless network ?

Is just 1 WLC the problem or are you having the same problem across all WLCs ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Problem with Wism WLC

Steve.....

Thanks for responding. There are no ACLs applied to the WLAN, interface or CPU.

George.....

I am trying to ping from the wired and at the moment I am experiencing across 2 WLC.

Problem with Wism WLC

On the 6500, which the wism and wlc and client is connect to ... if you do a show arp, do you see the clients IP address ?

Are you sure your VLANs on each of the 6500/WISM are the same and you are allowing the same VLANs across all your WISM ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Problem with Wism WLC

Yes I do and yes they are. When I reboot the troubled controller then the issue goes away but returns later.

Is there no way I can pull a log through the CLI?

Problem with Wism WLC

Hummm... Sounds like a TAC call. And one of the things they will mention is to upgarde the WLCs off 6.x to 7.0.220.0, I bet.

As for testing, can you ping the client from the WLC and the 6500 when you cant from the other side of the network ?

You can do a client debug but I am not really sure it will show much related to your issue. But I am curiuos is you can hit it from the 6500 and the WLC.

Problem with Wism WLC

Yes George, that is correct.

I can ping from the controller itself and switch but as for the client, he cannot go anywhere.

This is a strange one. Do you think I should upgrade and test before logging a TAC call?

Problem with Wism WLC

is this a new install ? Or was this working and then just broke ?

Problem with Wism WLC

Nope, this was working and no it is not a new install.

Problem with Wism WLC

can you pull a show database and a show memory?

it could be the WiSM is getting wedged on the data plane.  I do remember an odd issue i worked back in the 4.2 days, where the AP would somehow learn a bad gateway IP address on the dataplane.  This would stop the client from passing traffic but the AP stayed up as it holds a different memory bit for the AP management gateway.

So I agree, get a  TAC case open and get them to open an escalation case so that this can be looked at by the DE to pull the memory registries to see if it is the same issue I hit previously.

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Problem with Wism WLC

No chnages to the network ?

I would go to 7.0.220.0 and test... You could open a TAC case and they may be able to give it a once over.

Problem with Wism WLC

Thanks Guys, I will keep you posted after the TAC call has been logged.

Silver

Problem with Wism WLC

I would highly suggest you get a wired packet capture from the AP's connected switchport when you see this issue (and then when you do not). Also run wireshark or something on the wireless client that can't be pinged. We'd need to confirm the ping request is making it to the AP and the client, and the at the response is making it out....

Is the AP layer 2 or layer 3 to the WLC in question?  Is it different to the "working" WLC?

Views
Helpful
Replies