cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems on the AP with Vlans defined

nunoscosta
Level 1
Level 1

I have one cirsco aironet 1100 AP on my network.

The problem is that i am using vlans and i have two vlans difined on the AP that is connected to one cisco catalyst 4500 series:

Vlan 1 is the native

Vlan 2 is the user Vlan

The switch side have trunk to both vlans on the switch port.

I have configured the both vlans on the AP like this:

-dot11radio0.1 vlan 1 native

-dot11radio0.2 vlan 2

-fastethernet0.1 vlan 1 native

-fastethernet0.2 vlan 2

-bridge-group 2

The show ip interface brief shows me the following:

virtual-dot11radio0.1 status -down and protocol down

The dvi is defined with the correct ip address and subnet mask

The question is:

Why the virtual-dot11radio0.1 and 0.2 are protocol down and status down?

On my default manager from ciscoworks the message appears like this:

-Operational exception for my AP on Dot11radio0

-Heighqueuedroprate for my AP on Dot11radio0

And every Virtual interface is Down and i do not know if is normal or waht i must change avoid this...

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

This scenario is better explained with an example. If the native VLAN on the switchport is configured as VLAN 12 and on the AP, the native VLAN is configured as VLAN 1, then when the AP sends a frame on its native VLAN to the switch, the switch considers the frame as belonging to VLAN 12 since the frames from the native VLAN of the AP are untagged. This causes confusion in the network and results in connectivity problems. The same happens when the switchport forwards a frame from its native VLAN to the AP.

The configuration of native VLAN becomes even more important when you have a Repeater AP setup in your wireless network. You cannot configure multiple VLANs on the Repeater APs. Repeater APs support only the native VLAN. Therefore, the native VLAN configuration on the root AP, the switch port to which the AP is connected, and the Repeater AP, must be the same. Otherwise traffic through the switch does not pass to and from the Repeater AP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml

The problem is not about tag the frame, i forgot to tell you that and i am sorry.

The problem is about Virtual-dot11radio interface. This interface is to connect with other infrastructure devices, but i have not others infrastructure devices, so i want to hidde, delete or do something about this virtual interface. Another subject is about tagging the frames, if i have the frame tagged with dot1q on the Ap in ethernet interface, i need to configure on the dot11radio ? Why? Seems like the trunk ports on the switch and access links. Why the dot11radio is always configured with the encapsulation? the Ethernet already have this encapsulation and i have only one vlan on the dot11radio. The AP knows that ?

Thank you for your answer :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card