Views
Helpful
Replies

Query about vWLC's limitation of not supporting Local mode APs

utkarsh00
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was reading about virtual WLCs and came to know about the limitation that vWLCs don't support APs in local mode. I have few queries about the limitation,

Is this limitation to ensure that all the traffic is not tunneled back to the vWLC and in effect, the ESXi host and not to create a bottleneck?

I was wondering if I can use a vWLC (installed at local site) for our smaller branch offices, say with 10-15 APs, with central switching and central auth rather than having a hardware WLC? Is it supported? Will it logically behave as local mode or would it choke the network by tunneling all the traffic back to the ESxi host? Would there be any impact for the end users? Or should I use vWLC with local switching central auth?

Thanks,

Utkarsh

2 Replies 2

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Utkarsh,

The limitation is on the AP mode only. you can use flexcconnect with either local or central switching.

Hope this answers your concern. :)

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

FlexConnect Mode: Central and Local Switching. Only FlexConnect Central and Local Switching APs are supported, Local Mode AP will only join the controller but will not associate the clients.

So once AP joins the controller we can change the mode from Local mode to Flexconnect mode.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card