Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Question about WDS with 1131/1142/3502, Cisco 881 ?

I want to set up small office with 3 stand alone access points.  I have read in this forum that it is 1131's are not supported as a WDS master, but only as clients (is that completely correct, or it may be a bug on stand alone IOS that does not work well on the 1131s).  I plan to use the Cisco 881 IOS 15.0(1)M2 that has license level of advipservices because of its firewall capabilities.

1) I would like to deploy the 881 as the main router and the 881's internal AP be the WDS primary and have the the 1131 as clients.  Would that work?

Or

2) Can I deploy a single 1142 or 3205 to act as the WDS master, and then have the 1131 or 881's internal AP as the WDS clients?

I know there is a Cisco 2500 WLC, but I'm trying to avoid the purchase of the WLC.

The wifi deployment will basically have a single SSID using WPA2/PSK.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

He probably does not actually 'need' fast roaming if he is just doing this for basic wireless data infrastrucute. But if he is using citrix on a laptop while roller blading down the hallway, he'll need fast roaming ^_^

For basic roaming just ensure you have all access points using the same SSID , same WPA2 password, and operating on different channels. Since you have 3 in this scenario, use 1,6,11 and make sure that you have 10-15% cell overlap.

Can't he setup WDS using the WDS access point as a local AAA server (radius), while also still

servicing clients, utilizing CCKM for fast secure roaming ?

7 REPLIES

First, the 1131 can be a WDS master.  Any IOS AP can be.

Second, WDS only matters if you are using 802.1x.  With WDS, the 'master' stores the key so that the client can fast roam.

In your sceanrio you are going to use a PSK, so the need for WDS is not there.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Agree with Steve.

I want to add the AP that can not be configured as WDS is 350 AP. This is a very old one and I doubt if it is still exist.

You can't also use an access point as WDS if it is configured to be a repeater.

Reference: http://tiny.cc/kbx0iw

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Hello Thank you for the clarification that is good to know that you do not need to run WDS.  This leads me to another question.  Since each AP is a standalone and is using WPA/PSK, how will roaming exactly work?  I plan the 881 router as the DHCP server.  Will the client notice the drop in traffic since they have to re-authenticate again?  I know with a controller based that fast roaming works actually quite well, just not sure when you have 3 stand alone ap's will be have.

Thanks,

He probably does not actually 'need' fast roaming if he is just doing this for basic wireless data infrastrucute. But if he is using citrix on a laptop while roller blading down the hallway, he'll need fast roaming ^_^

For basic roaming just ensure you have all access points using the same SSID , same WPA2 password, and operating on different channels. Since you have 3 in this scenario, use 1,6,11 and make sure that you have 10-15% cell overlap.

Can't he setup WDS using the WDS access point as a local AAA server (radius), while also still

servicing clients, utilizing CCKM for fast secure roaming ?

Re: Question about WDS with 1131/1142/3502, Cisco 881 ?

Lust like Nolan s

D: use same wlan config (name and psk) on all APs.

Like Steve described: WDS is only needed if you hqve radius server authentication. Since you do not utilize. Radius then WDS is not needed,

HTH

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

With a PSK, it's not an issue. 

With 802.1x, the WDS master holds the PMK so that the client doesn't have to do the full 16 way handshake to the AAA server, and instead just does a 4 way with the WDS to make sure the PMK is still valid.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks you all for your assitance. I will move forward with ensuring that have 10-15 RF overlap

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content