cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question concerning who defines wireless standards ?

Reprovoid
Level 1
Level 1

I came across an ICND1 practice exam question that went something along the line of " who defines the standards for wifi operabilibity" , something like that.I was under the operation that the IEEE defines wifi standards but that wasn't the answer.Unfortunately I can't remember what the answer was and I can't find the question.It was on a friends practice exam.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

The International Telecommunications Union Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) and local entities such as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) manage and regulate the frequencies, power levels, and transmission methods.

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) create the standards for compatibility and coexistence between networking equipment.

The Wi-Fi Alliance performs testing to make sure it conforms to the 802.11 WLAN guidelines.

The International Organization for Standardizations (ISO) created the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model.

Mike

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

The International Telecommunications Union Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) and local entities such as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) manage and regulate the frequencies, power levels, and transmission methods.

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) create the standards for compatibility and coexistence between networking equipment.

The Wi-Fi Alliance performs testing to make sure it conforms to the 802.11 WLAN guidelines.

The International Organization for Standardizations (ISO) created the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model.

Mike

So he was right then...

It would all depend on the EXACT wording of the question...they try and get you on that. So without knowing the choices or the exact wording it would be difficult to say....it could have been the Wi-Fi Alliance...depending on the wording.

Mike

Thanks for the detailed answer! I have to pay more attention on some questions.As you've mentioned , thems trys to gets ya! I've Just noticed that I wrote " I was under the operation" Instead of "under the Impression" In my Initial question! Too much reading.The other day I was looking at two seperate seating areas of the living room In terms of making some changes and the first thing that popped In my head was that they were In seperate broadcast domains!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card