Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Question on battery life in 7925g wifi phone

Hi there,   can someone please confirm to me that on the wifi phone, if signal weak, doest that will comsume more power for phone to keep connected to AP?

we recently deploy a number of wifi phones in a office. the battery from phones in office can last more than one day, but battery from phones in warehouse last less than 8 hour some only half days. I can see only different between those two is the signal strengh. The on in office always has 4 bars while the wifi phone in warehouse most time has 2 signal bar.  this lead me to think that those phone might comsume more power for keeping connectivity with APs. cheers Roy

WLC      Software Version 7.0.116.0

AP      CAP3502I for office and CAP3502E for warehouse. 

IOS version 12.4(23c)JA2

Client:      cisco 7925g, 

System Load ID  CP7925G-MFG-F.3.LOADS

hardware version 3.0

some result of show client in WLC:

Radio Signal Strength Indicator............ -67 dBm

Signal to Noise Ratio...................... 34 dB

Radio Signal Strength Indicator............ -59 dBm

Signal to Noise Ratio...................... 40 dB

Radio Signal Strength Indicator............ -72 dBm

Signal to Noise Ratio...................... 22 dB

Radio Signal Strength Indicator............ -58 dBm

Signal to Noise Ratio...................... 37 dB

Radio Signal Strength Indicator............ -75 dBm

Signal to Noise Ratio...................... 19 dB

Radio Signal Strength Indicator............ -76 dBm

Signal to Noise Ratio...................... 19 dB

3 REPLIES

Re: Question on battery life in 7925g wifi phone

Yes that can be true. The more power the phone has to use to talk to the AP the shorter your battery life will be

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

The phone will pump more power to reach the base station (in this case the AP) thus degrading phone's battery life ( is degrading the correct term? anyway, you know what i mean).

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Hi Stepohne/rr_cuiares, thanks for the reply.   At the moment the AP display power level 6, I try to manually increase to 1 but seem to me nothing happensm on client side, the phone in warehouse still get only 2 signal bars. since these AP is a bit far from POE switch, I a bit concern that those AP might not have received enogh power to keep it in full capacity. The switch has shows that 15.4 watts has been used for those APs.  Is there any way we can check in WLC to see if the AP has sufficient power?  cheers Roy

Views
Helpful
Replies