Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Question on WCS with Location

I got my first floor of my first building and have most of the access points added. Why can't I see the clients on the map? I did not see a dialog box to make that work and of course trying to find info that you need in the Cisco documentation is usually an exercise in futility. (That's why this NetPro is here for us clueless ones, thank goodness.)

thanks

Gary

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: Question on WCS with Location

I just did this on my v4 Lab WCS (no location) and it worked. I clicked monitor then clients.  Clicked the link of the clients mac address and then changed the drop down box to recent map and clicked go.  This brought up the map with the single client shown on it.

-John

8 REPLIES
Bronze

Couldn't tell from you post, but do you have the MSE appliance and have it integrated with WCS?

-John

I do not have the appliance. I do have the license for WCS with location but I'm hoping that they didn't sell me the software and now I have to have the applicance.

-Gary

Bronze

I'm pretty sure that without the appliance you won't see your all of your clients on the maps.  I believe it allows you to locate a single client.  Info below is for the 2700 series location appliance, but it should still be applicable to the newer MSE.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/location/deployment/guide/depgd.html

The Difference Between WCS with Location and the Location Appliance

WCS without the use of the location appliance supports on-demand or query-based location. This version visually displays a single device's location at a time, placing each single device on the floor map associated with the floor it is on. Location determination using this version of WCS with location is captured in Figure 2 where the blue icon is the only visual presented of a Wi-Fi client device.

You are right and I have sent in a query to my cisco rep and my sales guy but I can't get even the one to come up. Is there a doc on that?

thanks

gary

Bronze

I just looked at Cisco's video on WCS and when it shows the map feature the Floor Settings has the Client listed along with APs etc but my WCs does not. Did I miss something?

Bronze

I just did this on my v4 Lab WCS (no location) and it worked. I clicked monitor then clients.  Clicked the link of the clients mac address and then changed the drop down box to recent map and clicked go.  This brought up the map with the single client shown on it.

-John

Success, thank you.

Views
Helpful
Replies