Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Question regarding Interface/Interface Groups assigned to AP Groups

With local mode APs, Is it possible to use the same SSID across AP Groups but have clients attached to each SSID in a unique subnet based on the AP group? I have a hunch this can be accomplished with Interface/Interface Groups assigned to AP groups but haven't found anything conclusive.

Ideally what I'd like to accomplish is to have the same SSID(s) broadcast to all APs on the controller but have clients at each site fall into a subnet unique to that site and SSID combination while the APs are in local mode. I know I can do this with FlexConnect but without local servers/services at the sites I was curious if this was possible in local mode as well.

Does the interface/interface group assigned to the WLAN under the AP Group override the interface configured for the WLAN?

I imagine the configuration looking something like this for 2 SSIDs at 2 Sites:

* 4 interfaces defined for each SSID/site combination

* 2 SSIDs both to be broadcast at each site

* 2 AP groups, one for each site.

AP Group 1 would have both WLANs assigned to it and the respective APs associated to it. WLAN1 would have interface 1 associated with it while WLAN 2 would have interface 2 associated with it.

AP Group 2 would have the same WLANs assigned to it and the respective APs associated to it. WLAN1 would have interface 3 associated with it while WLAN 2 would have interface 4 associated with it.

If it's of any consequence this will likely be done on an 8510.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Everyone's tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Question regarding Interface/Interface Groups assigned to AP

You don't need interface groups. You just need AP Groups. Interface groups is if you want to map a WLAN to multiple vlan's.

Also, if you plan on doing this in local mode, all the traffic will be local to the WLC. Is that what you want? Either way, AP Groups only is what you need.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
5 REPLIES

You don't need interface groups. You just need AP Groups. Interface groups is if you want to map a WLAN to multiple vlan's.

Also, if you plan on doing this in local mode, all the traffic will be local to the WLC. Is that what you want? Either way, AP Groups only is what you need.

-Scott
Community Member

Question regarding Interface/Interface Groups assigned to AP Gro

Thanks for the quick response Scott.

I do want the traffic local to the controller so I can take advantage of some of the AVC features, my understanding is that AVC is only available to WLANs/APs in local mode.

Just a couple clarification questions:

To clarify an interface group assigned to a WLAN would potentially put two clients attached to the same SSID on the same AP in different subnets/VLANs, correct?

So the jist of the configuration outlined above should accomplish what I'm after (assuming interface groups aren't implemented)?

Thanks again.

If you created an interface group named site 1 and grouped Vlan 20 & 21, then you assigned WLAN site 1 to interface group site 1. Users who associated to site 1 SSID would either be out in Vlan 20 or Vlan 21. The WLC uses a hash algorithm to determine what interface to use.

-Scott
Community Member

Thanks Scott, much appreciated.

No problem:)

-Scott