Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

Random Disconnects from onsite users

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone could help me out with an strange issue im having at a site. It appears that the users onsite associate to the wireless network but at random times loses connectivity to the network.

The client will show (windows 8 clients)

- No internet access

- Connection to the wireless network still enabled with full bars.

- unable to ping default gw.

I've checked all wireless and network configs and monitoried the internet usage to determine if they are max'ing there speeds. I've reapplied all the configs and doublechecked all configurations but still they are getting bumped off at random times.

What strange though is that NCS reports that they have been associated throughout the entire day but just switching between nearby access points on 2.4 and 5GHz which is strange. The user is in a static location and does not move during the day.. so why the switching of access points and why the change in radio frequency?

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Wil

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Random Disconnects from onsite users

Well if your on v7.6 there are issues that a TAC release v7.6.101.7 addresses. The main thing it the loss of layer 2. Client is still in the RUN state and NCS/PI also see's the client as okay. The issues is with 3700's and 3600's with AC and Broadcom NIC's.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

These are 1142 access points on WISM 1 cards version 7.0 with windows 8 dell client device.

Its strange I can see it now and the client is associated to the same access point on 2.4GHz but gets disassociated to connect to the same access point on 5.0GHz.

Does this look like a single AP issue?

Well take a look at the link regarding windows 8. Also what code are you running? There is a new v7.0.250.0 that recently was posted. v7.0.240.0 has also been a stable release. I don't think it's your AP unless you have seen a trend with a certain AP. Might want to swap it out or replace it to see.

-Scott

we run v7.0.240.0 here. This is the only site that appears to have random disconnects but again this is a windows 8 only site supposedly. Hope theres a fix because I can no longer upgrade above 7.0 with our WISM1's

Well take a look at the doc I posted earlier.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27213

It has another link pointing to here.

http://blogs.cisco.com/wireless/get-your-wi-fi-network-ready-for-windows-8/

v7.0.235.3 was when this was fixed. Your running v7.0.250.0 which it was fixed in. There is a v7.0.250.0 that is out that the WiSM1 can still be upgraded to, but if it's an issue with just Windows 8 at that site and no other sites, then look at your configuration and make sure the windows 8 are setup the same everywhere.

-Scott

In case this is your issue, then here is a link.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-40402

If the issue is with windows 8, there was a previous issue and I forgot what code it was on, but the fix was using a Windows's 7 driver or upgrading the WLC code.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27213

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content