Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAP-1500 Example Config

All:

I understand that the 1500 series, when used with the WLC, uses the 5Ghz radio for mesh-backhaul, and the 2.4GHz radio for clients.

Is it possible for someone to share the working config from a RAP and MAP instance running in this config?

I'm curious how different WLANs are trunked/tunneled together over the Mesh?

Obviously tunneled within CAPWAP from the WLC to the RAP, and VLAN tagged on the other side of the WLC.

But what about within the WAPs and RAPs out in the mesh?  How do the ethernet frames for each WLAN get delivered to bridge groups the RAP APs?

Ethernet over GRE? L2TP?

Thanks,

~BAS (Cant afford a lab full of 1500s and WLC :~{ )

Everyone's tags (1)
4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

RAP-1500 Example Config

Hey Bas,

In regards to you inquiries:

I understand that the 1500 series, when used with the WLC, uses the 5Ghz radio for mesh-backhaul, and the 2.4GHz radio for clients. Correct. Though certain model 1500-series can actually do backhaul via 2.4Ghz as well as the 4.9Ghz public safety band.

Is it possible for someone to share the working config from a RAP and MAP instance running in this config? I'm not sure what your asking here.  The RAP/MAP is still considered a lightweight AP and will pull the majority of its configuration from the controller.

I'm curious how different WLANs are trunked/tunneled together over the Mesh? This really depends on what type of MESH deployment you are deploying/configuring.  A deployment with ethernet bridging and handling of multiple VLANs will be configured differently then a simple MESH deployment where you are simply extending wireless services.

But what about within the WAPs and RAPs out in the mesh?  How do the ethernet frames for each WLAN get delivered to bridge groups the RAP APs? I believe this is still considered to be over CAPWAP between your RAP and MAP, which is AES encrypted. 

The latest design & deployment guide for MESH is a pretty good read:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.4/design/guide/mesh74_chapter_010.html#ID2393

Cheers,
Erwin

How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

Cheers, Erwin ______________________________________ How helpful was I? Don't forget to rate me when you have the chance!

RAP-1500 Example Config

The Ethernet frames will use CAPWAP with AES encryption as already told.

RAP-1500 Example Config

The reason I asked about the 1500 and the WLC is because I have an upcoming project where WLC will be cost-prohibitive.

However, I want to have a situation where I do an ad-hoc 3-5 node outdoor non-mesh where each node is both a client-bridge back to a central location, via 5GHz, but is also a client AP on 2.4GHz.

What I want to ensure is that the Mgmnt IPv4 network associated with the ( check me here ?) "infrastructure ESSID" is not nessecarily visible to the 2.4GHz clients (yes, I know many clients have 5GHz client radios)

Its just that apparently WPA2-PSK + MAC ACLs are apparently a no-go.   Or at least, a MAC ACL cant be applied on a per-radio basis.  Only globally.  I need to apply one one for my 5GHz backhaul-only.

What I'm ultimately trying to avoid is having to create a 1:1:1 relationship between a source_VLAN:bridge-group:5GHz-backhaul-ESSID.

I just dont want the 5GHz air space between facilities filled with 10+ ESSIDs, for each VLAN I trunk around.

So my thinking was -- at each facility, could I have a IPENCAP, mGRE (or other IP in IP or IP-in-Ethernet) client protocol break out a client tunnel interface that I can put into the bridge-group, but tunnel it all over the single infrastructure VLAN/ESSID?

~BAS

PS: In theory, I can accomplish the goal of hiding the Infrastructure SSID away from 2.4GHz clients by simply not assining it to Dot11Radio0 and simply "not haivng" a Dot11Radio0.1 sub-interface be a member of "Bridge-Group 1".

"In theory"

I will have to test, but will post a proposed config later.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: RAP-1500 Example Config

When using a WLC you are able to define what mesh ap will broadcast what ssid and what vlan that SSID will be mapped to. If you are not using mesh, then what your trying to achieve is point to multipoint bridging.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content