Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Rate limiting wireless

Hi all,

First time posting. My question regards rate limiting my wireless network. I have roommates who use netflix quite often and interrupt my gaming. I want to know the easiest/cheapest way to guarantee I keep my ping down. I'm currrently using a netgear wireless router with QoS, but that doesn't work too well. I own a c2960 48tt switch and my plan was to buy a cisco router and AP, and setup my own cisco network. If I limit the bandwidth on the port that the AP plugs into would this solve my problem? If so what model router and AP would you suggest. I recently passed my CCNA, but haven't worked with APs at all. Does anyone have a link to a basic setup and config guide. Would I do most of the configuring on the router, as far DHCP, NAT, etc? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Rate limiting wireless

if I bought an 1841 router and an AP would that work?

The best place to initiate a rate-limit would be from the router.  As what Scott has recommended, give your room-mates a new SSID.  This means you create dot1q trunk from your router to your switch and from your switch to your AP.  You put your roommates' SSID in a different subnet and you apply rate limit on the VLAN of their subnet.

Best way for you to control.

8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Rate limiting wireless

Well the easiest way is probably to get an ap that you can setup multiple SSID's. This way the one for your roommates, you can setup their ssid for 802.11b only and you can use 802.11n.

I don't work with access points or wireless routers you can buy from a store, but I'm guessing they do have some sort of rate limiting these days.

You can go real cheap and use DD-WRT

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the reply Scott. I should've specified that I plan to hardwire into the switch as I do with my router now. As far as using two separate SSIDs and frequencies, won't there still be contention for bandwidth at the modem. I have about a 400kB/s download connection. If I set the port that the AP plugs into to say 200 kB/s would that guarantee that I, as a user plugged into another port on the switch have a guaranteed 200 kB/s of bandwidth and theoretically should never experience lag?

Rate limiting wireless

Yes your modem is the bottle neck and not really knowing what your router or switch can do, its hard to say.  If it allows you to limit bandwidth to 200kB/s, then it should limit that connection to 200kB/s.  Theoretically, that how it should work.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Well that is what I am asking. Will Cisco equipment let me accomplish this. I have a Cisco 2960 48tt switch and if I bought an 1841 router and an AP would that work? I'm asking specifically about cisco equipment. Do you know whats the earliest(/cheapest) model AP I can use to accomplish this. I assume I can setup all of the DHCP, nat, etc on the router and most APs would probably be compatible. Your profile says you work a lot with wireless, any advice?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Rate limiting wireless

if I bought an 1841 router and an AP would that work?

The best place to initiate a rate-limit would be from the router.  As what Scott has recommended, give your room-mates a new SSID.  This means you create dot1q trunk from your router to your switch and from your switch to your AP.  You put your roommates' SSID in a different subnet and you apply rate limit on the VLAN of their subnet.

Best way for you to control.

Rate limiting wireless

This helps a lot!

I still have one question regarding DHCP though. https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2143222 My question is similar to this guys. Would I just create two DHCP pools on my 1841 router and assign each vlan to a separate pool and then go into the AP and assign the SSID to the specific VLAN. Would my wireless users then pull an address from the router, or is it more complicated than that. I'm trying to avoid having to configure something like in this post. https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2038252

That is basically it. You need to perform all the routing and NAT from the router. Dhcp can be configured on the router and issue address to access points, wired devices and wireless devices.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

I'm with Scott.  The router is central to everything.  You do your 802.1q router-on-a-stick, you do your rate limiting on the router.  It's one of it's main functions.

DHCP will also work.  As a matter of fact, you can assign a specific or static IP address via DHCP.  This way it's easier to troubleshoot.  One tip though, if you're just going to do DHCP on a few computers, don't be tempted to put a long DHCP lease.  This is a router that can do many more so set your DHCP lease to say, 30 minutes.

If you plan to do static DHCP assignment, show me the config to your DHCP pool because there is a trick to assign the MAC address to the IP address.  Plus, of course, there is an OLD command that won't work.

EDIT:  Thanks for the ratings.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content