Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendation for users concurrent on Aironet 1500 y 1200

daniel.espi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is any recommendation or technical limitation about  max. concurrent users (logged users) on AP aironet 1200 and 1500.

Thanks in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

on any AP model, the limit is 255 associated clients.

However, you will face performance issues far before that :-)

Hope this helps:

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

View solution in original post

It's a number that is given because people want numbers.

It all depends on the traffic the clients are sending.

On the optimistic side, you can have a cafetaria with 150 people coming for lunch and everyone having a wireless ip phone at the belt. however those phones are not on active call and constantly in sleeping mode. That has been seen working (not by me though).

However, for clients with a real usage of the network, 20 is a decent number. But it's not a sharp transition. Performance will suck already at 19 clients :-)

Just consider that you are having 54Mbps theoretical bandwidth which translates into 20Mbps of real bandwitdh when all goes well.

So divide 20Mbps by 20 and you have 1Mbps per client. However, 20 clients means collisions too and that is the main concern. So with 20 clients, the noticed throughput will be around 128/256Kbps maybe ?

It depends on a lot of factors. But I hope it gives you an idea.

Nicolas

===

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

on any AP model, the limit is 255 associated clients.

However, you will face performance issues far before that :-)

Hope this helps:

Nicolas

===

Thanks Nicolas,

I've read that there is a recommendation about 20 users logged in to AP, more users than that can decrease performance on AP. WHat do you know about it?

Regards.

It's a number that is given because people want numbers.

It all depends on the traffic the clients are sending.

On the optimistic side, you can have a cafetaria with 150 people coming for lunch and everyone having a wireless ip phone at the belt. however those phones are not on active call and constantly in sleeping mode. That has been seen working (not by me though).

However, for clients with a real usage of the network, 20 is a decent number. But it's not a sharp transition. Performance will suck already at 19 clients :-)

Just consider that you are having 54Mbps theoretical bandwidth which translates into 20Mbps of real bandwitdh when all goes well.

So divide 20Mbps by 20 and you have 1Mbps per client. However, 20 clients means collisions too and that is the main concern. So with 20 clients, the noticed throughput will be around 128/256Kbps maybe ?

It depends on a lot of factors. But I hope it gives you an idea.

Nicolas

===

Thanks Nicolas.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card