cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering a failed AP

starthorn2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1131 AP and it wont respond when I tell it to via the controller to go back to its factory default settings. Does anyone here know if there is another way to whipe the AP?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the firmware of the controller.

Latest firmware of the controller, you'll need to console into the AP and invoke the command "clear lwapp private".

If you have an old firmware for the controller, you'll need to let the AP boot into the "rcv" image and issue the same command.

Hope this helps. Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

BRYN JONES
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My comments agree with those above, although in my experience I have frequently ended up having to get he AP off the wall and reboot it to ROMMON to get properly clear config/image onto it.

I have found the following information to be invaluable, but I suspect it will be overkill for you, but FYI:

Hold down mode button in order to get AP into ROMMON mode:

1. Power the AP
  2. Plug in UTP between PC and      AP and set PC IP to be 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0
  3. Connect PC to AP using      console cable
  4. Open Tera Term
  5. Type in the following:

format flash:

reset

1. Then type in:

set IP-ADDR 10.0.0.1
set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.0.0.2 (yout laptop/PC IP address)
set NETMASK 255.255.255.0
tftp_init
reset

1. Then place LWAPP image c1240-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA3.tar      (for example) on a tftp server such as 3CDaemon on your PC
  2. On the AP type in:

tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.5/ c1240-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA3.tar flash:

1. This will tftp the image      to the AP, which will then extract it
  2. Type in:

reset

1. The AP is now back with      the halfway IOS/LWAPP image that will allow it to contact a controller and      upgrade itself once on the network.

** IF THIS DOES NOT WORK, LOAD NEW S/W VIA TFTP ON BOOTING**

1. Connect WAP to laptop/PC      via UTP
  2. Configure your tftp      server/PC/laptop to have IP of 10.0.0.2
  3. Get a software  image that will work on WAP model
  4. Connect to WAP via console      cable
  5. Power on the WAP and via      console watch as it boots and does a tftp broadcast on 255.255.255.255 for      an image
  6. Record that image name and      use it to rename the image you want to load onto the WAP
  7. Power off the WAP
  8. Check that the root folder      of the tftp server is showing all possible file extensions by opening the      folder and going Tools > Folder      Options > View > scroll and un-tick ‘Hide extensions for known file types’
  9. Power on WAP and it will      boot up using the image on the tftp server and it will suddenly be      operational again

Hi,

I have issue with converting lightweight access point to autonomous ap ... I followed the same procedure what cisco document says.

but i am not able to convert it.

I have formatted the flash as well as followed the same procedure whatever it is mentioned for converting from stanalone to lwap. I believe it iwll be the same for my query as well to convert from lwap to autonomous.

After formatting I have given the same command what it is mentioned  below discussion .

format flash:

reset

1. Then type in:

set IP-ADDR 10.0.0.1
set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.0.0.2 (yout laptop/PC IP address)
set NETMASK 255.255.255.0
tftp_init
reset.

but when i give the below command , i am not able to get any response from ap :

tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.5/ c1240-rcvk9w8-tar.124-10b.JA3.tar flash:

what to do , i am really stuck with that ...

I have downloaded the ios from cisco site .... below the name of file with size 5450.00 KB

file name : ----- c1130-k9w7-tar.124-10b.JDA3.tar

what should i do next ?

Please suggest me for the same.

I am really stuck up with this ..........

It would be appreciatve for getting proper answer.

Hi

I would enter the following command:

ether_init

after a failure and then reenter teh tar -xtract command

This has always worked for me

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card