Views
Helpful
Replies

redundent cotrllers multicasting

john smith
Level 1
Level 1

hello friends,

if we have 2 cisco 2504 series wlcs and use multicast fetures in both and both are primary and secondry for LAPs

what about of we use multicast ip address let's say 255.239.1.60  can we use the same ip address for the secondry contrller too or we should use any other ip ?

thanks

7 Replies 7

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Since you will be working with redundant WLCs, then you just need to use the same IP address for the multicast group on both WLCs.

Here is the link that explains how to configure multicast on the WLCs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807cc10d.shtml

Remember that if the access points are on the same subnet as the WLC then you just 
need to enable multicast on the WLC, have broadcast forwarding, add the multicast
group and enable IGMP snooping.

If the access points are on a different subnet then the WLC, 
you will need to enable multicast on the WLCs as mention above
and also make sure that you have layer 3 multicast enable on your network.

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, When AP Multicast mode = Multicast, it is mandatory to use unique Multicast IP per WLC in the WLC Mobility cluster.

thanks saravanan & fbarboza

but i am little confused about your replies

because one is saying i can use the same ip address for the secondry controller and the other one saying it is mandatory to use different ip addresses for each wlc in mobility cluster.

please advise me what is right to do ?

caan i use the same ip address for multicasting like(255.239.1.60) for the secondry controller or i should use the different ip address like 255.239.1.60 etc etc

thanks

2500 WLC supported from 7.0 code.

Guidelines for Using Multicast Mode:-

When you use controllers that run version 4.1 or earlier, you can use the same multicast address on all the controllers. If you use controllers that run version 4.2 or later, the LWAPP multicast group configured on the controllers must be different for each controller used on the network.

thanks for your reply

ok so what you seggust in my case what next i could use for secondry controller?

primary controller has 255.239.1.60

secondry will be ??????

thanks

If Primary got 230.0.0.1 then use 230.0.0.2 for secondary WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70ccfg.html#wp1089006

Guidelines for Using Multicast Mode

Follow these guidelines when you enable multicast mode on your network:

•The Cisco Unified Wireless Network solution uses some IP address ranges for specific purposes, and you should keep these ranges in mind when configuring a multicast group:

–224.0.0.0 through 224.0.0.255—Reserved link local addresses

–224.0.1.0 through 238.255.255.255—Globally scoped addresses

–239.0.0.0 through 239.255.x.y /16—Limited scope addresses

•The CAPWAP multicast group configured on the controllers should be different for different controllers.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They should be different. Also your address should be something like 239.255.1.60 as an example.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card