cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Relocating Controllers and IP Addresses

Michael Shelton
Level 1
Level 1

I need to move a controller to a new site which requires to change its name, mobility Group, RF Group name and ip address. Does anyone knows the undertakings of such a task. Tks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No... Base license is permanent.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well that's not as bad if you know what your doing..... if you need to keep your SSID's and other settings, then changing the hostname, ip address(s), vlans, should not be bad.  You need to make sure your AP's can find the WLC, by using option 43, DNS or layer 2 broadcast forwarding.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/70333-lap-registration.html

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Michael Shelton
Level 1
Level 1

OK thank Scott But I'm sure we will be changing SSID, RF group, MOBILITY GROUP etc....is there a way to reset controller back to factory settings and not lose AP Base license information.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App OK

Yes... You can rest it from the GUI in the command tab or from the CLI. Also when you boot up the WLC, there is a menu which you can break into and there will be a factory default there.

-Scott

If you're going to change the lot, you might as well get it reset to factory default.

Go to CLI and enter the command "clear config". 

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a link also

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1639

-Scott

Michael Shelton
Level 1
Level 1

OK thanks - And what will that do to my AP base license. Will I lose it?

No... Base license is permanent.

-Scott

Michael Shelton
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks

Michael,

I wanted to add. If the APs on both controller will never "touch" then you shouldn't have them in the same RF and MOB group. No need to add the extra overhead to pass mobility packets ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card